Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No-Gotek for me today

I wrote my own loader so I don't know what this issue could be. Do you have any LEDs on the serial signals? Most of these serial drivers can handle an extra 3 or 4 ma to drive an LED. It helps to see what is going on.
    From a terminal program, you should be able to send simple commands and see if you get the proper ACK signal. One thing I found is that after enabling the flash write and read, the chip wouldn't always work with the soft reset. I always just first send the flash read/write enables, manually reset again and then load the program.
    As I said, I write my own code to load stuff onto the chips. If there is a problem, I can single step through the sequence to see at which stage it is hanging. You might also attach an oscilloscope to watch the signals. You want to see if the first ACK signal is happening.
    I think the parity thing is to help improve the ability to auto detect the baud rate after power up. Serial is generally robust enough that one doesn't really need to check the data for short runs.
    Dwight

very little to add here that more technical folks haven't already suggested. The only things i have are 1) did you solder the pin headers onto the gotek or are you just trying to do it without them soldered? Its a hit and miss if they aren't soldered on.

the second suggestion is to save yourself some effort and just try a different approach. I believe Dwight has suggested programming the chip directly, but another way is to just use a usb to usb cable and program that way that was mentioned in your other thread.

I've had a drive that doesn't program via the serial method, but the fact that two of them aren't working for you lead me to believe there is something wrong with your process. the one Chuck posted should work. but again, it's up to you whether you keep trying this approach or just try a different one.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Blog Entries

The "built in" STM32F1xx serial loader is rather particular, but it works well. No need to write your own, really.

Most of the F103s I buy are of the "blue pill" persuasion, which have a 4-pin header for the ST-Link programmer, which always works. And a necessity for the F4xx, as I don't believe that it has the "built-in" serial loader.

Guess I haven't tried goofing with the reset pins yet, so now I'll give that a go.

And the connections are soldered.. like I said, I've installed a header.
    Last edited by WimWalther; April 10th, 2019 at 10:13 AM.
    Auf wiedersehen, schweinhund!

Finally got it. Had to use 2400 baud and make several attempts, but it finally connected.

No idea why the process was so tempermenal.

Quote Originally Posted by WimWalther View Post
    Finally got it. Had to use 2400 baud and make several attempts, but it finally connected.

No idea why the process was so tempermenal.
    Likely the USB to serial adapter is flakey or cheap. There are lots of chinese knock-off ones out there and I have purchased a few that didn't work.

Blog Entries

That's a thought--you won't go far wrong if you use one using the FTDI chip.

I've got several here with the Prolific chip:

Code:
    067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port
    and they're very strange. The blue connector ones work on some systems and not on others. The black ones seem to work on everything--but they both claim to use the same chip. More Chinese counterfeit-ery?

Wait until you want to make the SPI work ( maybe the F103 only?? ). There is an appnote about it but you need to dig. About half of the libraries I've seen don't implement it right. Again, even though Chuck has no issue, I write my own. I'm a tinkerer and need to know how things work.
    Dwight

Fyi, my Win 7 Device Manager reports a Prolific chip in the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by WimWalther View Post
    Fyi, my Win 7 Device Manager reports a Prolific chip in the cable.
    The phony copies reported back that they were Prolific and Prolific initially couldn't tell the difference. They changed their divers and for a while, they found a way to detect the phonies so they bricked them. They then came out with new drivers for a new chip that was easier to detect that they were correct ( how I don't know ). My understanding is that the oldest drivers work with all but the newer drivers are more fussy. My guess is that they have a random number generator that uses the chip's serial number as a seed. If it doesn't calculate right it ignores the device.
    I'm sure I got parts of this wrong but this is a known mess. There is a web page that has drivers for all the types in one driver, not made by Prolific. I found this page when I was having issues that I later found was that each time a grabbed another interface, it assigned another com port number. I of course thought it would say the same.
    I've since found pages to remove the hard assigned ports.
    Dwight