Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No-Gotek for me today

Blog Entries

Another benefit of not using Windows. Linux doesn't care.

However, Chinese counterfeits have been a plague for USB devices in general; see my discussion and frustration over CSR BT dongles.

Dwight I know tha FTDI did some bricking with theirs as I remember it being mentioned and discussed quite a bit at the eevblog; Prolific also did the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Another benefit of not using Windows. Linux doesn't care.

However, Chinese counterfeits have been a plague for USB devices in general; see my discussion and frustration over CSR BT dongles.
    Yeah, it's not just the chinese counterfeits but the companies efforts to combat the counterfits. Similar to DRM, theres a problem and the companies create an additional problem to counteract that problem and create more problems... and the end user is the guy that suffers really.

I don't have any linux machines set up anymore, but I do keep a Macbook air stored away for situations of particularly bad driver issues. Specifically back with the early implementations of android where every manufacturer had some custom driver for their hardware (they might still, but I rarely root my devices now). Of course, macs and linux both have a different set of frustrations so nothing is perfect.
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

Quote Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
    Dwight I know tha FTDI did some bricking with theirs as I remember it being mentioned and discussed quite a bit at the eevblog; Prolific also did the same thing?
    No, it was just FTDI that did the bricking. Prolific clones just didn't work with the newest drivers.http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

This should help with the prolific drivers for clones. This site is specifically used for the cables that program the Baofeng radio's (which i have) and typically have the clone chipset.

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

Might have ftdi linked there somewhere as well, but I don't recall.
    Last edited by ngtwolf; April 10th, 2019 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Added driver link.
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    No, it was just FTDI that did the bricking. Prolific clones just didn't work with the newest drivers.http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

This should help with the prolific drivers for clones. This site is specifically used for the cables that program the Baofeng radio's (which i have) and typically have the clone chipset.

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

Might have ftdi linked there somewhere as well, but I don't recall.
    Yes, my error of brain fade. FTDI not Prolific was bricking.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    Yes, my error of brain fade. FTDI not Prolific was bricking.
    Dwight
    looks like my post had a number of typos too and the edit window expired before i could fix them... i shouldn't write posts late at night.

That reminds me though from your earlier post about the different com ports. I actually really like that each one creates a separate com port. I have one cable i use for the apple ii adt pro and another that i use for my atari 800 sio2usb cable and both require different com port configurations, so being able to configure each separate and have it remember which one is which (even if i don't keep the cables plugged in all the time) is actually handy.
    -- Brian

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    looks like my post had a number of typos too and the edit window expired before i could fix them... i shouldn't write posts late at night.
    If you click 'Preview Post' while composing your post (you can do this as many times as you like) you will have unlimited time to edit it and thereby get it right no matter how many edits you need or how much time it takes to complete.

Bottom line -- no pressure when posting.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

My mistakes don't seem to show up until I post it. I actually do read through them several times unless the wife is telling me we have to go someplace right now. I don't think the preview would make much difference for me.
    Dwight

It wouldn't surprise me if Prolific followed FTDI's bad plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    My mistakes don't seem to show up until I post it.
    FWIW, the preview is an exact duplicate of what the final post looks like.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step