Image Map Image Map

Thread: Epson Equity 1+ (8088) and Epson Green-Phosport Monitor

Default Epson Equity 1+ (8088) and Epson Green-Phosport Monitor

Good morning - first time posting here, hope I'm in the right spot:

I've come into several old machines, mostly IBM, but a couple of Epsons as well that I'm playing around with:

IBM 5150, IBM 5162, IBM 5170, Epson Equity II, and an Epson Equity I+.

I am focusing on the 5170 and Equity I+, mostly because I have a monitor to match each and they have power supplies that work.

The 5170 is great - once I replaced 8 eight of the stacked memory chips. The IBM CGA card and 5153 monitor look great.

The Equity I+ works out of the box; I swapped in a 720K drive and can boot it up. It has a Paradise Basic EGA card, and this works great with the IBM color monitor when the DIP switch is set correctly.

But, I want to use the Epson green phosphor monochrome monitor with it, which is TTL. The Paradise card has settings for monochrome, which I have set. When I boot up, I get a blinking cursor (no text)...after the DOS install floppy loads fully, the screen goes blank. I've tried setting other modes, but no dice - I only get the cursor in monochrome mode. I've tried escaping out of the DOS 5.0 installer, which I can do blind, and typing 'mode mono', but that doesn't do anything.

I'd appreciate any help! Do I need to get a different dedicated MDA? I also have a very basic Hercules graphics adapter, and a newer Epson card that came out of the 286.

Thanks,

Adam

Blog Entries

You need to set DIP switches on the Equity I+ to tell it to boot up in MDA/monochrome. Otherwise it will assume a color adapter is still present.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

It is; at least, the front DIP switches are set to Monochrome according to the cover plate (both switched off) I set the Paradise DIP switches also to Monochrome.

I also tried this card in a semi-working 5150 (memory issues, but will display on a CGA monitor), with the same result. I have set DIP switches 5 and 6 to OFF in both cases, which should configure the motherboard for monochrome. On the card, I use the stason.org settings for MONOCHROME.

I get the blinking cursor in both cases, which makes me think the card is communicating with the monitor just fine, but no data is displayed which makes me think for some reason the card is not talking to the system. Works great for CGA. I've tried changing the memory location jump on the card back and forth, and tried all the combinations of DIP positions for 5 and 6 to no avail.

I probably should just buy an MDA and keep it simple.

Hey, I got this working! The Paradise Basic EGA card was configured correctly, as was the motherboard DIP switches. I had to wait to get MS-DOS installed; but once I did the mode command worked properly. It just wouldn't work off the floppy. So, I don't get any RAM count or the XT-IDE BIOS screen, but by adding "MODE MONO" into my autoexec.bat, it will switch once DOS finished booting up.

Thanks again for the advice, and I'm grateful there's a group like this available.

Blog Entries

Glad you got it working. However, I would posit that your motherboard switches are NOT configuring correctly if you have to type MODE MONO before you see anything. Check your motherboard switches again. A correct setting will have the system boot into mono mode and you'll see text before DOS boots.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Trixter, I'd agree with you 100% - I can't imagine why the current setup would be considered a good arrangement. I'll run through the DIP switches again one more time. At least I can be confident in the card / screen working properly, and go from there. Thanks again for the advice!