Image Map Image Map

Thread: I thought people here liked repairing old hardware

Default I thought people here liked repairing old hardware

But I have had some pretty iconic stuff up for sale that needs repair, and it seems like nobody is taking any interest in it. I was hoping maybe i could get some advice on what i need to do to get this stuff to sell.

Blog Entries

Some do like repairing hardware; I have enough hardware I would like to repair to last me until I am 90. How much work and how much the repairs will cost factors into the desirability of picking another broken machine.

Blog Entries

I don't recall seeing your list--got a link? Maybe I can help, but I thought I'd advised on some of this stuff already. Be warned--I'm terrible when it comes to valuing stuff for collectors.

Looking at your post, I would separate out each machine so its easy to see what you are offering, and a ballpark figure

Also, your location and cost of posting.

probably easier to Ebay it.

One problem is OP won't (or can't) take PayPal which is how the overwhelming percentage of transactions on VCF are done.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    Looking at your post, I would separate out each machine so its easy to see what you are offering, and a ballpark figure.

With detailed information and pictures so that a seller can gauge the physical condition.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    One problem is OP won't (or can't) take PayPal which is how the overwhelming percentage of transactions on VCF are done.
    yeah, i have one book of checks that is dedicated to my HOA because they're living in the dark ages too.

I can't speak for others but I do repair lots of equipment but for me the reasons i'm not interested are:

. It's all PC class stuff, which i'm generally not interested in.
    . It's not local. I rarely will buy anything of that size on-line.. too much of a headache.
    . Once you factor in price, and shipping, i wouldn't spend that kind of money for another project. I can get all sorts of 'projects' locally for pennies on the dollar, as I assume is the case for lots of us.
    . Even if not for all of the above, the check/money order option would kill it for me. Unless we're talking something super unique like a Imsai or Altair or whatever, very few of us are going to jump through the hoops of mailing off a check.

Good luck though!
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).