Image Map Image Map

Thread: Repair Service needed for STB BlackMagic II Voodoo2 12MB

1. Default Repair Service needed for STB BlackMagic II Voodoo2 12MB

Currently it only works if I run 3DFX titles with the command line to disable the second texture unit, otherwise I get corrupted textures. Models and effects are fine, so is lighting. So I theorize I have either a bad memory chip or a bad trace.

Looking to keep repair costs under $50, otherwise I'm coming too close to the value of the card itself.

Mine doesn't get detected in any software, however my Windows 95 and 98SE machines detect the card. Have you attempted to reflow the GPU pins and check for cold or cracked solder joints on the card itself? I also suggest checking the capacitors (SMT). Where are you located at?
    Current retro systems:
    2x Commodore 64 Breadbin 250407 Rev. B and C
    Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus, aka, the Ultimate Sound Card machine
    iMac G3/600 Graphite, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, Lubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
    iMac G4/800 Lampshade, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
    YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroPCUser

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by retro-pc_user View Post
    Mine doesn't get detected in any software, however my Windows 95 and 98SE machines detect the card. Have you attempted to reflow the GPU pins and check for cold or cracked solder joints on the card itself? I also suggest checking the capacitors (SMT). Where are you located at?
    I'm near useless with soldering equipment. I don't have a reference image for a card like mine to see if any SMD mount parts that should be there are missing. Like most things this has 1 or 2 empty solder pads, but they don't appear to have ever been occupied.

Zipcode 62958.

That sounds like a driver issue with your card. Obviously we can deduce the card is being detected correctly by the system (and I assume is loading drivers according to device manager). Therefore the issue must almost certainly be in between the Software, API, or Driver levels.

STB (as well as most everyone) used the reference Voodoo2 board design from 3dfx, so you can basically take a picture of any other Voodoo2 and use that as a reference. The only major difference is they used a black PCB, most of them were green.

Diagnosing the second TMU is going to be a PITA due to the RAM. I really doubt there's a broken trace, as these cards were pretty robust, I've seen a few that were beat to hell and still worked. One reason is probably because they used leaded solder, so the SMD components are less likely to suffer fractured joints.

I would go with either the TMU being bad, or the RAM being bad. Replacing the TMU would be a pig of a job, but they're available on the market. The RAM would be a real issue because the card uses special high speed EDO memory, which wasn't manufactured for very long and is basically unobtanium now. People with these 3dfx cards that have bad RAM usually resort to cannibalizing other cards to get one working, usually the other cards have a fault and aren't worth fixing.

One thing you could try to do is get one of those dust off canned air things with the straw on it. Flip the can upside down and spray the second TMU while its running to get it really cold and see if it starts working. You'll want to do this before you run an application. Ideally, you'd want to put heatsinks on both TMUs and the geometry chip because they get really hot.

You can try the same freeze trick with the memory chips, but cooling them one at a time and see if anything changes. Each TMU has eight memory chips to the right of the TMU on the front and back of the card on the 12 MB model.
    Last edited by GiGaBiTe; April 12th, 2019 at 10:25 PM.