Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: Real Life Jobs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    620

    Default Real Life Jobs

    Not an introduction, but thought it would be interesting to just have a thread where people say what they do in their real life and this seemed like the best place for that kind of thread. I assume most of us are either retired or in IT of some type, but just curious what folks do around here.

    In my case, I'm a technical project manager doing IT Infrastructure projects for a large multi-state hospital chain. I mostly pretend to not be 'hands on' technical since it's more entertaining that way.
    -- Brian

    Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Bedford, NH, USA
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    FWIW, isn’t the About Me section in your Profile the best place for information like this?

    smp

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    3,928
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Not an introduction, but thought it would be interesting to just have a thread where people say what they do in their real life and this seemed like the best place for that kind of thread. I assume most of us are either retired or in IT of some type, but just curious what folks do around here.

    In my case, I'm a technical project manager doing IT Infrastructure projects for a large multi-state hospital chain. I mostly pretend to not be 'hands on' technical since it's more entertaining that way.
    I would say "most of us" are probably not in IT. I'm willing to bet that a large percentage of the people here actually got or get their hands dirty.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smp View Post
    FWIW, isn’t the About Me section in your Profile the best place for information like this?

    smp
    Sure, if you wanted tell people about yourself who might look you up, that would be the place to post it. This was meant more as a general 'what do folks do' who are part of the vintage community kinda discussion, not really meant to be about a specific person. I'm pretty sure the only thing in my About Me section is my location though, since that's the only thing anyone would need to know (if I'm trying to buy or sell something). I guess the same could be said for the 'introductions' section at all though... anything you'd post in introductions could just be posted in your profile.
    -- Brian

    Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I would say "most of us" are probably not in IT. I'm willing to bet that a large percentage of the people here actually got or get their hands dirty.
    Like garbage men, or more like assassins?
    -- Brian

    Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,059

    Default

    I'd prefer the not being judged by your job/career method. We are all here for our love of vintage computing.. Isn't that enough?

  7. #7

    Default

    I'm in Intelligence. Or what other people would call lack there of. :P

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    30,993
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    I'm desperately trying to retire. Customers won't let me.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I'd prefer the not being judged by your job/career method. We are all here for our love of vintage computing.. Isn't that enough?
    Sure, just like any other thread on this site, no-one really needs to participate in a thread. There are a lot of them I don't post in. I'm sure there are people who don't want to mention at work that they collect vintage computers, lest they be judged there. Also, where is the line of what we feel comfortable talking about? What if I have other hobbies and I want to talk about how i'd like to use my vintage computer with that Hobby. Should I not mention it here because I don't want to be judged on that hobby by folks of this hobby? Do I avoid talking about vintage computers on that Hobby site? Maybe I just keep it all to myself? It all seems overly confusing.
    -- Brian

    Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I'm desperately trying to retire. Customers won't let me.
    You might have another one if I can't figure out how to restore my old backups.
    -- Brian

    Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •