Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pr1me minicomputer

Default Pr1me minicomputer

I am amazed that there is not a lot of traffic or interest in old Prime minicomputers. Back in the days of Telenet and Tymnet they were all over the networks.

Blog Entries

And the days of CADDS.

Blog Entries

My recollection is that there's a Google Group that still has minimal activity.

There is also an emulator but it is online only.

I'm not on this forum particularly often, but a friend pointed out this thread to me.

I have a huge collection of Prime computers, and exhibited one a couple of times at VCF East. I find them fascinating, but it's definitely not a name that many people think of often. Even when I had a running machine with terminals for people to play with at VCF I didn't have many people interested in them.

Blog Entries

I think of Prime = PrimOS = originally written in FORTRAN, then in PL/I.

...and MAGSAV format.

Blog Entries

I think of the Qantel brand Pr1me-compatible that I proudly rescued from my employer's dumpster*, only to end up putting it back in the trash across town because I had no way to keep it. Worse, various bits of it ended up going in the trash at different times, so had I left it alone, there was an infintisemially better chance of someone else finding it intact somewhere.

And I think of the 6' tall tape drives that a coworker gutted to turn into shelves for his garage.

*summer of 1992, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by stargeezer View Post
    I am amazed that there is not a lot of traffic or interest in old Prime minicomputers.
    I dug up a bunch of documentation and software, but became disillusioned after the only simulators stayed closed-source.
    What a waste of technical knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    I dug up a bunch of documentation and software, but became disillusioned after the only simulators stayed closed-source.
    What a waste of technical knowledge.
    Why even would they do that? Is there some lucrative Pr1me simulator market that I'm unaware of? Are millions of Pr1me users begging to leave behind their original systems and emulate them on modern hardware?

Blog Entries

You're asking the wrong people. Go on to the cited Google Groups forum and ask there if you want answers.