Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MS Basic on a SOL

Blog Entries

The thing I like about the Proc Tech one is it gives an easy visual representation of where the potential bad chip is. I may invest the effort to modify it.

Blog Entries

I ran it... so if I understand right, at the prompt you enter the memory address range start ie. 2000, and then the finish point for the test, ie. 2FFF. And if all is cool, it produces a series of periods? But if not, it generates a list of all the bad addresses?

If so, when I run the test on $2000 to $2FFF, I get *lots* of bad addresses. But if I do $3000 to $3FFF, it's all periods.

The bad addresses seem to be between $2805 and $2BDF.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I ran it... so if I understand right, at the prompt you enter the memory address range start ie. 2000, and then the finish point for the test, ie. 2FFF. And if all is cool, it produces a series of periods? But if not, it generates a list of all the bad addresses?

If so, when I run the test on $2000 to $2FFF, I get *lots* of bad addresses. But if I do $3000 to $3FFF, it's all periods.

The bad addresses seem to be between $2805 and $2BDF.
    OK, On the Sol in that defective range, say from $2810 to $281F use EN to enter the 16 data bytes: AA, BB,CC,DD,EE,FF,00,11,22,33,44,55,66,77,88,99

Then DU to return those 16 bytes from those addresses. Post what you get (they won't match) but from them we can work out which IC's/circuit area is likely the trouble.

Blog Entries

Is there any way to pause or stop the memtest program when it's running without doing a full reset? It goes so fast I can't see the addresses.

What I've deduced so far is that my problem seems to be between $2800 and $2FFF. Above $2800 we are ok and below it, from $3000-$3FFF we are ok. It just seems to be that range in the middle. So if I'm picturing it in my head, it's like one row of 2102s is no good.

If I take an address that the RAM test says is bad, and I start at the beginning, say $28B0 to $28BF, doing what you suggested, typing in AA, BB, CC, DD, EE, FF, 11, etc... it will give that back to me no problem. However, certain digits are. I think in one case, I put in 5B and got 53. Here's a screen shot i took. It's dim because the text moves so fast but you get the idea:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XTg...ew?usp=sharing

Blog Entries

This is 2019 You can take a video of it with your phone and pause the video.

I'm not trying to be demeaning, I learn these things everyday too.

Blog Entries

I tried that but pausing just leaves a blur.

If you’re testing a PT 8KRA board and it is addressed at 2000h-3FFFh, then your errors are occurring in page 2 and it looks like at least bit 3 is bad as I squint at the video monitor pic. In this case, start by replacing IC 54 (bottom row, 6th from the left)

Mike

Blog Entries

Thanks Mike! I was sort of on the right track. Well.. not really. Had the row wrong. I still get confused by page, bit, etc and how it translates to physical locations on the board.

Anyway, I pulled up the sixth from the left and immediately saw the problem -- one leg was bent in. Bent back out, ran tests.. all is happy. Many thanks for yours and Hugo's help.

Blog Entries

And I successfully loaded MS BASIC!

But yeah.. soon as you hit yes or no on the SIN/COSIN etc prompt... out of memory. Heh. Gotta buy another board I guess!

Blog Entries

Or fix this one (again).