Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used floppies

Blog Entries

Default Used floppies

Time to start on spring cleaning again. I've got used floppies galore.

Mostly 720K 3.5" with some 1.44M ones. 5.25" are pretty much all DSDD--almost no DSHD.

For $5 + USPS shipping, I'll fill any FRB with everything that it will hold.

I'll give this one a week; after that, they're landfill.

Blog Entries

Okay, too many questions. Let's simplify this, as I'm up to my ears in work and don't have time to spare on this.

Let's revise the offer and see if we can't get a taker.

I have what the Pelouze scale says is 25 lbs. of floppies of both persuasions.

Most of the 3.5' are 720K (DS2D), but there are a fair number of 1.44M in there. Most have labels. These are old customer media and I make no representations for their usability; only that they read well when I processed them. I'd guess between 200-300 3.5"

In the same lot, there are about 400-500 5.25" floppies, again, labeled, used and mostly (almost entirely) 360K. Again, no representations as to their usability.

Take the lot for $15+Fedex ground shipping and handling from 97405. I'm guessing that it'll all fit in a 12x12x12 book box (I have a lot of those, as they're handy for shipping 1/2" tape reels). If you pay via Paypal, include enough to cover PP's 5% service charge.

Really, I regret that I can't take the time and sift through these and answer questions, but work comes first--and I have customers who want to use up every spare second that I have between now and the end of the year.

That box will cost ~ $75 to ship.

Two large FRBs will cost ~ $20 each or $40 and contain roughly the same volume as the 12 inch³ box.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

Do you have any 5 1/4" floppies left?
    -----[ Al ]-----

3 - TRS-80 Model I, TRS-80 Model 4D, LNW-80 Model I, Coco, 3 - Coco 2, Coco 3, 2 - Tano Dragon 64, C64, C64c, C128, 2 - Atari 800XL,
    Atari 520-ST, Atari Mega-2 ST, Amiga 1000, TS-1000, TS-2068, ZX-Spectrum, IBM 5150, 2 - Apple ][gs, Laser 128, and a butt load of Macs and Intel PCs.

Blog Entries

So far, no takers. If someone wants to drop by and pick them up, they can avoid shipping charges entirely.

Fedex ground depends on distance and type of delivery. I just sent Fedex ground 31 lb 12x12x12 box to a commercial customer in Anaheim and the charge was about $25.

Regardless, I want the whole batch gone in one lot. I don't have time to sort through the pile. It's a better use of my time to dumpster the lot, but I thought I'd offer them to the community, since nobody's making floppies anymore.

Can floppy disks be considered media mail?

Used floppies, with data on them can (unless you happen catch a prick of a postal inspector).

New, blank floppies, cant.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Whatever; I have at least two takers lined up. Thanks, all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Whatever; I have at least two takers lined up. Thanks, all.
    It was actually a great deal, I know I was tempted. That would be great for anyone who needs disks for their new released software (like 8-bit guy does).

However, like most folks here, I already have so many disks and I'm trying to veer away from using disks in things. If they made new stock disks now I might consider those but beyond that, it's just a matter of time (in fact, they weren't even expected to last this long). I just did a mass format of all my disks (FormatQM is awesome) and after tossing a bunch of bad ones out, I have about 100 5 1/4 DSDD, 80 3 1/2 DD and 80 3 1/2 HD disks. What's also ironic is how the newer the disks, the more likely they were to fail. You'd think it'd be the opposite.
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    However, like most folks here, I already have so many disks
    One can never have too many floppy disks

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    What's also ironic is how the newer the disks, the more likely they were to fail. You'd think it'd be the opposite.
    With 3.5" disks, the quality dropped off towards the end. Not that there weren't some low-quality brands before that. Somewhere I have a box of 3.5" disks that was one of the last ones on the local Microcenter's shelves. Wouldn't imagine those could take too much use.