Image Map Image Map

Thread: PDP8 storage device questions...

Default PDP8 storage device questions...

I am going to try to build a handheld PDP8 type project using an AVR/FRAM with a octal control panel. I plan on its having a microSD to emulate PDP8 storage devices so that is my first question: What type of storage devices does the PDP8 support? From what I've read about the PiDP-8 over at Oscar's site, it started with paper tape, then magnetic tape, then floppies, and I wonder if hard disks too. What devices/interfaces are there? Please link any manuals that would be helpful for me to dig through. Did each type of device have to have its own loader code that knew how to deal with it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
    I am going to try to build a handheld PDP8 type project using an AVR/FRAM with a octal control panel. I plan on its having a microSD to emulate PDP8 storage devices so that is my first question: What type of storage devices does the PDP8 support? From what I've read about the PiDP-8 over at Oscar's site, it started with paper tape, then magnetic tape, then floppies, and I wonder if hard disks too. What devices/interfaces are there? Please link any manuals that would be helpful for me to dig through. Did each type of device have to have its own loader code that knew how to deal with it?
    You know about bitsaver's? Look here: http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp8/ under handbooks to start.
    Do you know about SIMH the all-purpose DEC++ computer system simulator? Look here: https://github.com/simh/simh
    SIMH pdp8 supports (virtually) all the standard DEC peripherals: paper tape, magtape, floppy and hard disk, DECtape.
    SIMH is the basis for Oscar's PDP-8i simulation, running it on a Raspberry Pi.

I've been reading through the SIMH PDP documentation a bit; thanks for the links.