Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM 360k floppy drive, not Tandon

Default IBM 360k floppy drive, not Tandon

Interesting find today, I haven't seen one of these before. Usually the 360k full height drives in the IBM 5150 are the typical Tandon TM100-2a, however this drive came out of a 5150 and it is not a Tandon ... It is an IBM #6181147

DSC00380.jpgDSC00381.jpgDSC00382.jpgDSC00383.jpgDSC00384.jpg

Interestingly, this drive is in a 5150 machine that stands out as having a a very good build quality ... the interior of the case is painted very nice and completely, and the motherboard is a very good quality board with nice components, IBM and Intel RAM chips, Intel CPU and socketed DIP switches.

Anyone ever come across one of these drives hanging out in a 5150? I was expecting a Tandon and got this instead

Blog Entries

The tech ref for the 5150 shows 3 5.25" drive types. One is CDC, another is Tandon and I forget who made the third type. At any rate, it wasn't IBM.

I could not find a single mention of floppy drives in the 5150 tech ref.

I have a couple of these same drives. The only Company named on the drive is IBM, but the tag states it was made for IBM. It says it's a type 0384-002, made in Malaysia.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chris_nh View Post
    I could not find a single mention of floppy drives in the 5150 tech ref.
    Not the little one, but the second version (1502234)--back in the schematics section. The O&A has even more drives.

Yes, the "type 0384-002" sticker appears on the underside. There is also an actual IBM part number sticker on the bottom of the interior of the drive with IBM part number 6181147, but as these stickers have a tendency to fall off, the part number may not be readily evident to those who seek it.

Anyway, these are nice drives. The design seems like an evolution/improvement of the tandon full height design. I'm guessing there would have been some level of collaboration between Tandon and IBM that allowed this to happen... either IBM had rights to the design or it was not completely Tandon's design to begin with.

Blog Entries

I doubt it--there were a number of Tandon "look alike" manufacturers back in the day--ones that, at a distance of 2 feet, would make you think that you were looking at a real Tandon drive.

You doubt that Tandon and IBM collaborated? Cool story bro.

Blog Entries

No, I'm saying that it's unlikely that Tandon would modify his designs for one customer and then not offer the product to the industry at large. Jugi didn't work that way--he was all about volume.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); April 14th, 2019 at 12:14 PM.

I have two of those drives too, both from rev-A 5150 systems. They have optical write-protect sensors instead of mechanical ones. I have a third drive from another manufacturer which has a mechanical sensor, and my floppies always get hung up on it when inserting them. I also like the black plastic retaining fangs on the front of the upperhead chassis. The look badass when the drive is closed. I'll say though, that these drives are hella loud, compared to my other one, which is probably a branded Tandon (can't recall atm). That's the only thing I don't like about them.