Image Map Image Map

Thread: Memory Card Issues

Default Memory Card Issues

Hi,

I'm looking for a small memory test program that can be run on a PDP-11 standalone. I have built a 2Mbyte SRAM Q-Bus card but something is wrong. I have some simple memory tests which all show no error. But when I try to boot RSX-11M-Plus, which works perfectly with the other memory which is a 1Mbyte card, on the same system it crashes. I admit that I never had more than 1Mbyte on the system before, but I cannot imagine that the memory size itself is a problem, so it must be something with my SRAM card.

Code:
    $DLˇ

SYSTEM FAULT DETECTED AT PC=055504  FACILITY=000300  ERROR CODE=000100

CRASH -- CONT WITH SCRATCH MEDIA ON DL003

@?
    I also can enter small programs and they work fine. So what I'm looking for is a small memory program which can be loaded into PDP-11 memory and test all 2Mbyte and report errors. I have not tried XXDP (I'm not very familiar with thats why), but I could also try to boot XXDP with a memory test from a RL02 image, but I have no clue how to do that, so any advice how to use XXDP to test memory would be useful as well.

Peter

The 'old' papertape maindecs for the 11 should work OK.

I would look at how bytes are accessed on your memory card. This, invariably, could turn out to be the culprit...

Dave

Found at least some of the reasons. At least I can now boot RT-11 and RSX-11M with my homebrew memory card. There was a problem with the fine tuning of the timing. So I can say that in general the memory card works, however I need to dig further into the timing setup to make sure it is 100% compliant to the Q-Bus.