Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where would a PDP 11 or 8 be used when it was still relevant

Default Where would a PDP 11 or 8 be used when it was still relevant

Hey everyone, my question is as written above, where would one use such a system back in its days of relevance and usefulness.
    Thanks everyone!

At Atari Games in the late 70s and early 80s, we used an 11/20 to run a 6502 cross assembler for game development. Programmers submitted a marked up listing to the computer operator and in return received a paper tape that was loaded into a custom 6502 development box.

doug

Well, the PDP-11's I had at home came from environments and were used up to around 2001 - 2005

1x 11/34 came form an individual who saved it from his company where it was used a a controller
    4x 11/34's came from Shell Oil Rotterdam and were using where it did control a bulk materials dispensing system, configured in some sort of cluster setup,
    5x 11/35's came from a Telco support org in Spain where they were used to test repaired circuitboards of telco PBX/PABX systems,
    1x 11/84 came from Akzo Nobel and was used in an office environment,
    1x 11/70 (Decsystem version) came from an University in Amsterdam and was (partly?) used for Unix development,
    1x 11/70 (regular one) came from IBM in Italy and was part of a cluster to control some custom made communication equipment,
    1x 11/24 came from Oracle Europe and was used for support,
    1x 11/23 came from a technical college for education purposes,
    1x 11/23 came from a hosting centre and was apparently a backup system,
    1x 11/24 came from Dec Support when HP cleaned up their inventory (among a bulkload of other test equipment they did not want to keep),
    1x 11/83 in BA123 case came from a company after they cleared out their storeroom and was used in their office.

The previous company I worked for did maintain PDP-11/73's and 11/83's at Schiphol Airport and were (maybe still as of today) used for environment control.

Machine tools. If you have one that has a PDP (you might not even know it), then it's still relevant today.

PDP-11s - Power Station Control systems...

That's what we used (use) them for.

Dave

2 x pdp8/i university medical/psychology departments
    1 x pdp8/e integrated circuit test controller
    1 x pdp8/e university computer science department
    1 x pdp8/a integrated circuit test controller
    1 x pdp8/a cnc machine controller
    1 x pdp11/20 front-ending university DEC10
    1 x pdp11/83 coal sales/distribution system (part of large network)

Blog Entries

As you can see above they are VERY general Purpose machines. They were extremely easy to build custom interfaces for and program and mixed with a low cost they got cheaper by the dozen.
    Personally I have seen them used for laser control, tunnel ventilation management, water quality sampling, microfilm printing and power station monitoring.
    = Excellent space heater

The 11/34a I had (and is now at the RICM) was used at the University of Pennsylvania Psychology department for running experiments. It had an expansion case with a ton of A/D cards. So, let's call it "measurement and control".

Quote Originally Posted by DougSnyder View Post
    At Atari Games in the late 70s and early 80s, we used an 11/20 to run a 6502 cross assembler for game development. Programmers submitted a marked up listing to the computer operator and in return received a paper tape that was loaded into a custom 6502 development box.

doug
    Was that an in-house cross-assembler or did it have a commercial name? I have an 11/23+ that I play with now and again, so I think it would be fun to compile an Atari 2600 game on it and play it in Stella.

Blog Entries

While working for a government agency back in the 80's, I used to service a pair of PDP-11's that were used to backup a room full of satellite image plotting tables used in map making. I haven't seen one in the wild since and probably even forgot how to turn it on.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting