Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where would a PDP 11 or 8 be used when it was still relevant

Our company provided hardware maintenance to many commercial and government applications in 70's
    PDP-8/E system and software that did time scheduling for TV stations
    Personal favorite, a PDP-8/E that "ran" the scoreboard at Atlanta Stadium. An RK05 disk had most of the animations used in those days. I even got my name in lights on the scoreboard at the end of a Braves game.
    PDP-11/44 ran an automated warehouse for a Fortune 50 computer peripheral manufacturer, plus many 11/34's doing PCB layout, and various manufacturing process control systems. Even an 11/34 running MUMPS that supported the corporate health department.
    More MUMPS systems, a diagnostic medical lab, a clone of the VA Vista system at IHS, visits to the innards of a Nuclear Power plant, lots of university applications
    The first TDRSS ground station in the US had a room full of 11/70 and a gazillion RMxx drives.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquekid3 View Post
    My PDP-8/E came from a cleanroom running a step and repeat camera. The 8/M I have came from a blood chemistry analysis system. My 11/45 is from a hospital, not sure for what application. My 11/73 ran an EKG server to share results via the phone line.
    Marquette Electronics sold systems that used 11's for ECG/EKG acquisition (from mobile carts), storage and interpretation. It was called MUSE and the current version is sold by GE Healthcare.

It that the one you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick7928 View Post
    Hey everyone, my question is as written above, where would one use such a system back in its days of relevance and usefulness.
    Thanks everyone!
    I just found an 11/73 complete with TD SCSI board from an old Electron Microscope that was salvaged. Never would have known from the outside. It was buried inside among all the proprietary boards.

Blog Entries

BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) used a large number of PDP-8e's to run the passenger info train destination signs in the stations.

Per the 'palbart' (a version of PAL written by the BART folks) manual page:

Code:
    This assembler was written to support the fleet of PDP-8 systems  used  by  the  Bay  Area
           Rapid  Transit  System.   As of early 1997, this includes about 40 PDP-8/E systems driving
           the train destination signs in passenger stations.
    ref: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...palbart.1.html

My PDP-8m came from a retired CNC machine used in Florida. The hardware is physically in perfect condition and runs error free (16K core with EAE, RX01).

Don

I wasn't allowed to salvage the complete system for...reasons, apparently, or so the recycle center told me, but the bits that turned my 11/23 into an 11/73 and maxed out the memory came from a mass-spectrometer system that I believe belonged to the Minnesota branch of the EPA. (Still have the controller board!) The 11/23 itself, I think, was originally a small-office computer, but I've never dug around in the files on the hard drive enough to have a really good idea as to what.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

Well PDP-8 and PDP11 were used for just about every conceivable purpose where you needed a computer. They had a standardised published BUS (OMNIBUS and UNIBUS) so it was easy to add cards. When I worked in the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) (UK). Try googling "NERC" PDP-11 for some ideas.

They were also used in the commercial world. In the UK at least one bank used them as "Branch Controllers" to link all the terminals. There is a Maintenance guide for these here:-

http://vaxhaven.com/images/7/74/EK-MK3BR-MG-001.pdf

In the early days "Dr. Dave Clarke" used a PDP-8 to pass real time medical data to an IBM 7090....
    ... sorry I can only find an Abstract

https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=805836
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Blog Entries

The FOX 2 (rebadged PDP-11/15) I recovered on a road trip three years ago was running the oxygen plant fire prevention system at the BHP steelworks, Port Kembla, Australia from I gather about 1973 to the late 70s perhaps early 80s.

I like to think of its provenance in terms of all the australian-made items it had a hand in producing - cars, washing machines, buildings, bridges, fences, ships, roofs, machinery and who knows what other thousands of tons of steel for products in that era.
    Last edited by 1944GPW; April 16th, 2019 at 01:10 AM.

I have two PDP-8/e systems that were used to run spectrometers. There were full of special interface boards for the controls and sensors.
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

I've heard from a family friend that works at Texas Instruments that they still have PDP 11's running parts of their chip fabrication facilities. Apparently they replaced one of their *newer* models a few years ago, with a manufacture date of 1986.
    TI also used to have TI 990 minicomputers running large portions of their facilities, but those have been phased out.

I missed one from my post reply and it is to late to edit,

CardKey. card swipe building access systems, seen quite a few over the years. Mainly 11/73 in a Dyna Five enclosure.