Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Where would a PDP 11 or 8 be used when it was still relevant

Quote Originally Posted by wa2flq View Post
    Marquette Electronics sold systems that used 11's for ECG/EKG acquisition (from mobile carts), storage and interpretation. It was called MUSE and the current version is sold by GE Healthcare.

It that the one you have?
    That is exactly what I have!

Pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/5x0ky

Blog Entries

Oh i also remember when i worked in a finance company, we had one for making credit cards. It ran three card embosser/encoders and a line printer.

The embosser/encoders were like something out of a heath robinson cartoon. They had two sends of embossing dies, one large for the big numbers and one small for the rest. They looked like old fashioned engineers letter punches. They also had a roll of silver foil that was called "tipping" and put the silver over the embossed letters. The line printer printed "card carriers" which were the delivery letters with slots where the cards were placed for posting.

A separate machine took the finished cards and inserted them into the carriers. It also checked the card number stamped on the front of the card matched the one on the magnetic sttripe... (no chip in those days).

As you can expect the system was temperamental, but also lived in a high security environment. What fun, what joy...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals