Image Map Image Map

Thread: Windows 3.0 on the Tandy 1000 RL

Default Windows 3.0 on the Tandy 1000 RL

Here is yet another atypical Tandy 1000 use-case, perhaps to the bane of Deskmate aficionados and sane people the world over. As configured, and with reasonably checked expectations, I'm mostly satisfied with the Windows 3.0 experience on this system. Granted, it's primarly acting as a DOS program launcher, but it's a dang pretty one!

Similar to my other Tandy builds, I'm leveraging as much soft-tweaking as I can - disk buffers, memory and bus wait-states, etc. - in an effort to get as much out of the stock system as possible. Consequently, if the results seem unimpressive now, just bear in mind that, by default, they're even worse.

Windows aside, there's plenty of other non-standard (and hopefully appreciable) stuff going-on with this build. Yet on the to-do list is the addition of a CD-ROM to the SCSI bus, thereby granting some basic multimedia attribution to the Windows environment. Alas, but for a lack of permanent desk space...

Fret not, you are not the only one running Windows 3.0 on your Tandy.

It had been 25 years since I last used my 1000 TL/2 when I brought it home from my parents' basement a few months ago and I had forgotten I had installed Windows 3.0 on it. I'm currently in the middle of rebuilding it, and your advice in other threads has helped.

It's good to see more Tandys out there still being loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudschatze View Post
    Yet on the to-do list is the addition of a CD-ROM to the SCSI bus, thereby granting some basic multimedia attribution to the Windows environment.
    Achievement Unlocked

Microsoft's "Music Box" CD-player from Windows 3.0 MME is apparently a no-go with an 8086. The following driver/application combination works instead:

ASPICD.SYS (Shuttle Technology's generic CD-ROM driver, -9K conventional memory)
    SHCDX33E.COM (MSCDEX replacement, -6K conventional memory)
    MBOXWIN.EXE (Trantor's "Music Box" CD-player application)

Windows 3.0 is now nearly as capable on the RL as it is on my SL. Hooray.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudschatze View Post
    Achievement Unlocked

Microsoft's "Music Box" CD-player from Windows 3.0 MME is apparently a no-go with an 8086. The following driver/application combination works instead:

ASPICD.SYS (Shuttle Technology's generic CD-ROM driver, -9K conventional memory)
    SHCDX33E.COM (MSCDEX replacement, -6K conventional memory)
    MBOXWIN.EXE (Trantor's "Music Box" CD-player application)

Windows 3.0 is now nearly as capable on the RL as it is on my SL. Hooray.
    I used to do this on my Tandy 1000 TL. The one I retrofitted. at first it only had the Monochrome CGA Graphics, but later, I actually found a third Party Tandy Graphics Driver that supported somewhat tolerable 16 Color. The only thing it was really useful for, wasplaying Solitaire in Color and Windows Write.