Image Map Image Map

Thread: Switching uppercase/lowercase on a Model 3 LDOS 5

Question Switching uppercase/lowercase on a Model 3 LDOS 5

Hi,

New time poster and newbie to the TRS-80...

I have a recently purchased diskless M3 with FreHD I got from Ian (thanks Ian) and generally, everything has been great and I'm learning a lot.

When I load one of the LDOS 5.3.1 vhd images, by default, I'm in lowercase mode, and the <shift><0> combo does NOT toggle to uppercase as I expect. After reading some technical manuals, I have discovered that if I reset the keyboard driver (RESET *KI), I'm instantly in uppercase mode, and the <shift><0> toggle works fine. And that's what I want if possible as the default at startup. The NEWDOS image doesn't have this problem.

Is this in fact normal? I'm not sure if in all my "playing around" learning things I've maybe accidentally reset/disable/broken something. I've been trying to work out how the drivers are loaded/set on startup but I'm struggling to work it out.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, David.

NOPE - I have had the exact same "problem" --

You may have SET *KI TO KI/DVR in your AUTO. When KI/DVR is loaded, Shift-0 does not work for caps.

Do you see it loaded at boot time which is when AUTO commands are run?

Try resetting with the ENTER key pressed as this will bypass AUTO to confirm.

Edit: Correction. The above is true for M4 in MIII mode. On my MIII, I just noticed the Shift-0 always controls CAPS with or without KI/DVR when using FreHD. You could just run "AUTO RESET *KI" to remedy the issue. But, it would be nice to know exactly what is going on here.

Thanks guys.

AUTO was blank.

Putting RESET *KI in AUTO works (it does reload the driver). But then I can't have VHDUTL (GET) as well to set the current date and time from FreHD. AUTO only supports one command unless some knows otherwise.

And, you can't use a JCL file because RESET *KI is not allowed, for the obvious reason it resets the keyboard midway through the JCL processing (JCL is after all just mimicking automated keyboard input).

So for now I'll AUTO KI reset and just get date & time sync when I care.

Thanks, David.

hey, where is my reply I submitted a few days ago?

Quote Originally Posted by ozyPatto View Post
    hey, where is my reply I submitted a few days ago?
    Takes a while sometimes.

There is a key you press while booting to use the native keyboard driver I canít recall which one. Get the manual and read through it will make life much more enjoyable for you and help make things more to your liking.

Thanks Tibs, I'll have a look.

Cheers, David.