Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM dedicated tape drive to 5150?

Default IBM dedicated tape drive to 5150?

Hi
    Was there an IBM 5150 tape drive, that IBM sold under own brand, and was specially made for IBM 5150?
    Thank You for answering in advance

Blog Entries

It certainly wasn't announced with the 5150.

https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhi...c25_press.html

Given it was floppy based, and and even the 10 Mbyte drive could be backed up on say 30 floppies, I can't see any use for one...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Blog Entries

The O&A for the 5150/5160 certainly don't talk about one.

Blog Entries

The IBM 6157 tape drive that was sold with the IBM PC RT, used a standard QIC interface and IBM sold a few different models of cards you could use in the PC XT/AT and PC RT (although any generic QIC card should work as far as I can tell).
    Drives weren't made by IBM, but they were sold in big beige IBM external shells with a standard cable. Mine is the -2 model that takes 6150 tapes (150MB QIC). As with most tape drives of the era, the rubber capstain fails causing a huge mess, so plan to replace / fix that if you get one.

If you mean for the cassette interface, I'm not aware of any. Even the later IBM PC JX (which could be purchased diskless too) price listing only lists a cassette adapter cable, not no player.
    WTB: IBM RT Parts and Accessories, and AOS.
    Twitter / Discord / YouTube / Twitch

Blog Entries

I have a distinct feeling that the OP meant something that can play these :
    https://retrocmp.de/ibm/5150/diagcass.jpg

Blog Entries

IBM never sold its own brand of audio cassette player--and the connecting cable was widely known to be a Radio Shack stock item.

Blog Entries

IIRC, the Japanese advertising for the JX had a mock-up of a cassette player in matching colors. At most, only a few were sold since no JX fan page has one.

IBM did have cassette players as part of their dictating machine line up. I can't find a picture of the 1970s cassette player which was paired with a remote control foot pedal. I did find an auction for a much later IBM branded mini-cassette recorder at https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-EXECUTI...-/292490632959 Obviously, had IBM expected demand for it, they could have repurposed units to Boca.

Blog Entries

My initial reaction on seeing the 5150 price list is "why would anyone want to run this thing from cassette, given the cost?"

There were certainly more reasonably-priced systems with cassette capability.

Blog Entries

I think the cassette plug was there mostly to match up with educational purchasing requirements that specified a cassette adapter as a way to get big iron offerings excluded.

Testing the nascent PC with cassette player during the months it took IBM to get the floppy controller working probably paid for the costs of developing the cassette interface.