Image Map Image Map

Thread: My trusty microcassete recorder is failing... What are some good replacement models?

Default My trusty microcassete recorder is failing... What are some good replacement models?

I've had my Sony Cassette-Corder M-530V for about 10 years. I got it in a thrift store. It's not the sharpest sounding model in comparison to ones I had as a child, but it sounds pretty good. Reliable, until now when I just started using it again, there is mechanical trouble. It was sitting in a dry box with other stuff and previously worked without any issues. Now it stops playback once in a while and the wheels have a hard time starting to play a tape as soon as I put it in, but not all the time. Causing distorted playback for a second. It caused a little bit of the tape to come out of one of my cassettes, but not enough to cause damage. I rolled the tape back into the cassette by rotating the white wheels. I don't want my cassette recorder to end up eating my tapes, so I'm better off replacing it and then digitizing my tapes and only using it as a hobby. What are some better models you can recommend that you can still find brand new old stock? Thanks. I think my dad had a pretty nice silver Panasonic if I remember right.. I still have a lot of my precious memories stored on tape.
    Last edited by computerdude92; April 17th, 2019 at 06:05 AM.

I have never cleaned the insides of my cassette-corder. Maybe that is causing the issues or lead to them?

Most cassette recorders have drive belts that have to be replaced after so many years. Even if they are well stored, sometimes these belts turn to goo.

Usually after a good cleaning and replacing drive belts, a cassette recorder should work like new.

Although, a quick search suggests a "M-530V" is a micro-cassette recorder, which can be more of a headache.

What makes micro-cassette recorders harder to fix? Yes, I am talking about micro cassette recorders only and my M-530V is one. It takes the MC-60 cartridges.

Blog Entries

Open one up and try to work on it. Compare that to a full size Compact Cassette transport, and you'll see what he means.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Open one up and try to work on it. Compare that to a full size Compact Cassette transport, and you'll see what he means.
    Not that much harder if you've got good eyes, a magnifying lamp and tiny nimble fingers (and a paper clip or two). As mentioned, you can get belt assortments on eBay.

Blog Entries

An Optivisor (hopefully the real thing not a cheap Chinese knockoff), a swivel vise, and a hemostat on a pantograph make up for poor eyes and wobbly fat fingers. If I ever finish rebuilding my bench, I'm going to have to make a new pantograph with screwdriver capability.

But nothing can substitute for the kind of long-suffering only God can provide.