Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mouse for XT

1. Default Mouse for XT

Hello Comrades

My machine is Schneider Euro XT. And I am very very greeedy about only one com-port.
    It has mouse/joystik port near keyboard port (BIOS mode mouse, joystik, both), but, as usual nobody know what standart it has.
    Connector is DB-9. Schematic shows next pinout (for mouse):
    1 XB
    2 XA
    3 YA
    4 YB
    5 BM
    6 BL
    7 Vcc
    8 Ground
    9 Br

I think everybody understand meaning of signals 5-9. But what to do with that? Do somebody know drivers or have any schematic?
    What is this communication standard is?

That looks like pinouts for a bus mouse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_mouse

It wasn't a hard standard and there were mice with different plug types. I think I have seen some Logitechs that used DB-9, but you would still have to check the exact pinouts. You might be able to adapt one with a different plug. Bus mice are not common, though.

Since it seems to be an "XT" clone, it might be software/driver compatible with Microsoft InPort bus mouse interface cards. Otherwise you would need to find a matching driver.

Does this machine have any ISA slots for adding additional serial ports?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    That looks like pinouts for a bus mouse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_mouse

It wasn't a hard standard and there were mice with different plug types. I think I have seen some Logitechs that used DB-9, but you would still have to check the exact pinouts. You might be able to adapt one with a different plug. Bus mice are not common, though.

Since it seems to be an "XT" clone, it might be software/driver compatible with Microsoft InPort bus mouse interface cards. Otherwise you would need to find a matching driver.

Does this machine have any ISA slots for adding additional serial ports?
    It has only two ISA slots, and I want to use them totally. And thinking the way to get moar ISA slots! (Also - any ideas about this? Is in this universe some kind of ISA splitter?)

Thanks to your answer found this, very very interesting...
    http://oldcomputer.info/hacks/mouse/index.htm

Genuine IBM PCs and XTs could use IBM expansion units. But not something you would usually find with a clone.
    More practically though, you would want to find multi-io cards that have the works on them. The earlier versions of the XT-IDE card designs included an optional serial port, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by eglioltereg View Post
    It has only two ISA slots, and I want to use them totally. And thinking the way to get moar ISA slots! (Also - any ideas about this? Is in this universe some kind of ISA splitter?)
    You could try a riser card.

I has five ISA slots on it.

P8050289.jpg

P8050290.jpg
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

I suspect that most simple quadrature mice (e.g. Atari ST) could be adapted to this.

As a matter of fact, it appears that an ST mouse matches your setup precisely:

Or you could take a bog-standard USB mouse and this thing and Bob's your uncle.

Yes, I can confirm, ATARI ST and Schneider Euro XT mouse are 100% compatible to each other. You also can use Amiga mouse, but there you need to swap two of the direction signals.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    You could try a riser card.

I has five ISA slots on it.

P8050289.jpg

P8050290.jpg

It seems I have to do this riser card by myself... Is there just slots? no any transistors, capaciators?

Yes, in most cases just slots. The blue thingies you see are the capacitors.

But it is possible that the riser card won't fit at all. Maybe two other ideas:
    - I took a broken ISA card, one with soldering holes above the edge part and sawed this part off. Then I sawed the part with the eight ISA slots out of an broken motherboard and connected both parts with some pieces of flat cable. Stick the edge part into one of the ISA slots of your PC and you have eight extra slots.
    - Just take the part with the ISA slots and solder the edge of an ISA card directly to the bottom of slot #8.
    As an extra you can solder a cable with a male power connector. Also add screws or something else to support the slot part (outside the case).

The advantage of the first type is that it (in my case a shortened version) can be placed alongside an original board. I used it for test purposes as well but because of the many insertions and removals of the edge part the cable started to come loose. Because the edge is soldered directly to the board, the second type doesn't suffer this problem. But OTOH it is not suited for permanent use. I use this card very often when doing experiments with my PC20-III.

I hope this helps a bit. Have fun!

The second idea
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Quote Originally Posted by eglioltereg View Post
    It seems I have to do this riser card by myself... Is there just slots? no any transistors, capaciators?
    PM me if you want one of the two riser cards shown above.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step