Image Map Image Map

Thread: Trouble with BIOS IC - Unusual Flash Chip

Default Trouble with BIOS IC - Unusual Flash Chip

I don't know if this is appropriate for this subforum, but I'm trying to build an MS-DOS/Win98SE gaming rig.

Last year, I bought a motherboard (A Gigabyte GA-868LX), hoping to make the best gaming rig as much as possible.

What I have started to do is attempt to upgrade each motherboard's BIOS I come across, to allow newer Pentium III Slot-1 CPUs to be used in them. I was able to get the previous motherboard that I had used working with the CPU, but it had trouble using any video card that I put into the AGP slot.

Now I have a problem with this GA-868LX's BIOS chip. It is an Intel P28F002BC Flash Memory chip. My IC Programmer's list of settings does not have this particular model's pin arrangement, at least not one that's obvious. I understand that different models from different companies can have compatible pin arrangements and programming settings, which is how I upgraded the previous motherboard's BIOS. (The chip from that one is a Macronix-type 28F2000PPC-12C4, again a Flash Memory chip.)

I bought a Willem I28F002BC adapter (seemingly allowing me to read it as a Macronix chip), but it still does not read. I even turned off the "Check Chip ID setting" (i.e. even if the chip ID is incorrect, but the pin arrangement and programming settings are compatible, then it will still read/write).

Yes, I did put the Intel Flash chip back on the motherboard to make sure the computer turned on, just in case I thought I fried it.

Can someone help me find a way to preserve this BIOS and upload an upgraded BIOS binary to the chip?

Blog Entries

Well, there is a specific adapter for a Willem that appears to be peculiar to the Intel chip, if that is any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Well, there is a specific adapter for a Willem that appears to be peculiar to the Intel chip, if that is any help.
    That's the adapter that I bought. My IC programmer (TL866CS) does have settings for the Macronix chip, but it still does not read.

Blog Entries

Oh, I thought you had the Willem programmer.

Can't you upgrade the BIOS with the official DOS AWDFLASH utility and ROM image that Gigabyte still provides on their website?

I'm assuming you mean GA-686LX, not GA-868LX.
    Monotech PCs - brand new Vintage computer parts and accessories - Click here!
    EternalCRT: MDA/CGA/EGA>VGA Converter, XT-IDE, XT-CF-Mini, AdLib, DeluxeFloppy, PS/2>XT Keyboard Converter, XT-SVGA, NuXT, XT-MegaIO

Hi, did you pick the right chip ? The long one might be the keyboard controller, despite a BIOS sticker.

Edit: Never mind. Just checked the chip database of my Genius G540.
    It seems to have support for a similar chip. The programmer is around 50€ or so (G840 ~80€).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jo22; May 2nd, 2019 at 06:16 AM.
    "Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
    In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." -The Minstrel