Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need more info on apple IIGS rom versions!! The internet is all over the place!

Default Need more info on apple IIGS rom versions!! The internet is all over the place!

So I have a stack of about 12 apple IIgs systems with various ROM verisons. Here is what I need to know, can you upgrade a rom 00 system to Rom 01? Does it just take a new reprogrammed eprom? Does anyone have the 01 bin file?
    A few threads I have read said the rom 00 systems are "rare" and fetch a penny on ebay? Is this true? I really couldnt see why considering I cant get any good IIgs games to even load on a rom 00 system. Is there anything you can do that really takes advantage of the 16bit nature with a rom 00 system? Is it even worth keeping? And for the record, I have only one system with a "woz limited edition" that is rom 00 the rest are not badged in any way.

could use some input on this.

edit: I just realized that these games required a ram upgrade card to play. I had no idea they would not load with the base RAM of the IIgs. So I was able to get some iigs games loaded with a ram upgrade card. All my other questions still apply!
    Last edited by VERAULT; April 21st, 2019 at 02:26 PM.

I'm fairly sure all the first batch of IIgs-es (up to around 50,000 or so, which is why they're not really considered special) had the Woz badging, which means unless someone swapped lids around it's fairly unlikely any of your non-Woz-es would be ROM0.

And you're right that there is no practical reason I'm aware of to keep a ROM0, it's just an oddity because there weren't many in the first place and nearly all were upgraded. Basically people want them for the same reason they want "prototypes" even if said prototypes are late EVTs that are essentially indistinguishable from normal production.

Apple upgraded the ROM 0 IIgs with a ROM chip replacement. Most IIgs have had that done though it’s not unusual to see school machines that haven’t had the upgrade. I kept a ROM 0 chip but have never had a reason to install it in a machine.
    Some ROM 0 IIgs also had a problem with faulty VGC chips
    Lots of people say Woz or ROM 0 machines are worth big bucks but checking ebay sold listings doesn’t seem to reflect that

They are not worth more- in fact, they are less sought after because they have compatibility issues. The Woz case is also not special, because there are lots of them out there.

There is no available EPROM that is pin-compatible, so you can't just burn one and swap it in to upgrade to ROM01. You could make an adapter to do it, but it's non-trivial.

Also, you cannot upgrade a ROM00/ROM01 to ROM03. It is a different motherboard.

Thanks guys. Well these units actually did come from the Wisconsin school system. I do not believe that somebody switched the limited edition woz cover on them however. I think Rom 0 exceeded the original 50,000 Woz badged units.

Quote Originally Posted by rittwage View Post
    They are not worth more- in fact, they are less sought after because they have compatibility issues. The Woz case is also not special, because there are lots of them out there.

There is no available EPROM that is pin-compatible, so you can't just burn one and swap it in to upgrade to ROM01. You could make an adapter to do it, but it's non-trivial.

Also, you cannot upgrade a ROM00/ROM01 to ROM03. It is a different motherboard.
    I was aware about the Rom 0 3 inability, but I was hoping somebody figured out your way to swap out a rom 00 for rom 01.

Sounds like I'm out of luck.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I was aware about the Rom 0 3 inability, but I was hoping somebody figured out your way to swap out a rom 00 for rom 01.

Sounds like I'm out of luck.
    Hang on, aside from the VGC chip which may or may not be an issue, you can certainly swap the ROM0 for a ROM1 and for all intents and purposes have a ROM1 machine. Having recently had to do it, I can attest to it. There are more ROM1's out there than there are faulty VGC chips.

A
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Lower Planes BBS - Telnet/ssh/www tlp.zapto.org

https://jbretro.wordpress.com/2016/0...s-romtechnote/

Is the VGC bug related only to composite video?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    https://jbretro.wordpress.com/2016/0...s-romtechnote/

Is the VGC bug related only to composite video?
    I'm not 100% sure but I don't think so. However it was an infrequent set of circumstances that saw it appear. Where you need mono DHGR up on the screen and look for a pink fringe. Makes me think it'll show on RGB or composite...

A
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Lower Planes BBS - Telnet/ssh/www tlp.zapto.org

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Adverse View Post
    Hang on, aside from the VGC chip which may or may not be an issue, you can certainly swap the ROM0 for a ROM1 and for all intents and purposes have a ROM1 machine. Having recently had to do it, I can attest to it. There are more ROM1's out there than there are faulty VGC chips.

A
    Sure, if you can find official ROM. I was only speaking to easy EPROM solutions.