Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clogged dehumidifier

I cleaned the dehumidifier with a hose nozzle on the vertical setting. It doesn't work very good, keeps freezing up. The room temperature is 20℃ so it should work, right. Maybe the de-icer does not work properly anymore but I don't think it should be freezing up in the first place. Does anyone know what causes that? It's from 1993. I never see any old dehumidifiers in people's homes so maybe they have really short lifespans? Did one or many of the solder joints break which leaked some of the refrigerant? I know nothing about these things so please help.

My dehumidifier I bought on amazon (Frigidaire) doesn't work/collect water when the temp gets down to 8 or 9 celcius. Frigidaire refunded me for the whole machine sans shipping so I use it in the summertime in my garage.
    If yours is icing up I suspect there is still dirt and dust inside which is collecting moisture. I would take the unit apart and see if you could spray water (not high pressure but maybe tap water pressure) to clean out the dust and debris.

Other symptom would be low refrigerant which would mean a leak.

Blog Entries

I have used a pressure washer in the past to clean out plugged condensers and evaporators and unless you are blasting at hard angles to the fins or not using a con/fan tip they should not really bend or fold unless they are really badly corroded. For nicotine however you should really try the foaming fin cleaners. Most are designed to break down and dissolve debris and are pretty nasty if you get on your skin or clothes but works really well.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

What about oven cleaner? Too harsh lol?

Fantastic will actually remove some yellowing from plastics. But that's actually the real dark orangey brownish variety.

Blog Entries

Oven cleaner would probably work but I have no idea how it reacts to aluminum or copper or paints that are not baked enamel.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Excellent space heater

There is a such thing as a/c coil cleaner. There is even a foaming version that you can use for automobile evaporators that you don’t want to remove the dash to clean.

Blog Entries

That's what I was referring to. IT foams up and is harsh enough that it lifts and forces most junk out from between the fins.

= Excellent space heater

Yep, sorry I missed that part. When I was skimming the thread I saw where you mentioned pressure washer and then I lazily stopped reading. That will teach me to be more thorough. Maybe.

I remember at a college I worked at a maintenance guy had been kind of lazy changing a/c return filters up in the drop ceiling and left half of the fasteners out to make it easier. When a new guy got hired he was pretty angry because every single evaporator coil in the building was filthy. I saw him going around for a couple of weeks with a big sprayer of cleaner and some duct tape, cleaning coils and sealing up any leaks. I imagine that it saved the college a ton of money in electricity.

Blog Entries

If it keeps freezing up after cleaning, suspect a refrigerant leak.