Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing Scratches from CRT

This is a good topic. I restored an apple II mono monitor recently and once I had the thing, cleaned up and repaired I noticed the CRT had some annoying scratches.. Unnoticeable when the unit was one, but complete eyesores when it was off. I wasn't aware of any plastic coating I was just going to try abrasive compound and lots of elbow grease. Now I am hesitant.

I have a broken picture tube. Im going to try and put some scratches into it and see what abrasive compound does afterwards.

Blog Entries

The reality is that to make a scratch vanish with the principle of polishing it out, the surrounding glass around the scratch, over some surface area, needs to be cut down to the the level of the full depth of the scratch. This is why deep scratches in glass are so problematic.

So a combination of resin filling and polishing in this case would probably give the best result. To complicate matters, some CRT's have a flat or matt surface on the glass (for anti glare reasons) and this can go shiny in the polished area. This is why it is very important, if any polishing is attempted, to mask around the scratch with protective tape only leaving a small area of glass around the scratch exposed.

In addition, if any polishing compounds (of any kind) are applied, and then any re-application of resin is considered, a solvent must be used to make sure all traces of wax or oils are removed or the resin will have little hope of sticking.

Blog Entries

Yup, without a lot more detail, it's hard to say what might be done.

Looks like that windshield repair resin didn't do much. It filled in the scratch but it's still visible

Blog Entries

So, dumpster time?

You don't think abrasive compound is an option Chuck, if the throwing it away is the alternative what does he have to lose?

Blog Entries

Sure, whatever--just be careful.

What is the remaining problem with the windshield goop. Can you take a close picture?
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    What is the remaining problem with the windshield goop. Can you take a close picture?
    Dwight
    Basically the scratch is still very visible, it's just filled in now. It really didn't do too much.

I think I'm going to give polishing a shot, just have to get some of that Jeweler's rouge and a cotton wheel for my dremel or drill