Image Map Image Map

Thread: Hp 9000/360

Default Hp 9000/360

Picked this up at an electronics scrapcyclesaler near where I work (it's Surplus Stuff in Sacramento, CA if you're in the area - they have piles of cast-off lab and industrial equipment in addition to the usual shelves full of disused PCs and retired networking gear. This seemed to be the only complete 9000/300 system, though they did have an empty chassis and I swear I saw a 310 board lying around last time I was there...) Not sure who owned it or used it for what, but there's a couple ADC/DSP add-in boards from Infotek Systems that are hooked into some kind of sync/channel-multiplexing breakout box. In addition to that, there's a memory expansion on the CPU module bringing it up to a full 16 MB, plus a 98550A framebuffer module. There's also a 98562-66531 add-on to the interface board, which hpmuseum.net informs me is a disk I/O module; it has its own HP-IB connector. Did this provide an improved HP-IB interface, or what?

Anyway, it powers right up without complaint and sets about searching for an OS. As soon as I pick up either a SCSI adapter or an HP-IB interface for a PC I can run hpdrive on, I'll have to try playing around with it
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

These are nice machines. I have one of the 300 series in the full HP rack with a 670H hard disk. Just got a CD-ROM and I'm trying to find a DAT that will work.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Not sure who owned it or used it for what, but there's a couple ADC/DSP add-in boards from Infotek Systems that are hooked into some kind of sync/channel-multiplexing breakout box.
    Coming back to this briefly, I'm curious if anyone has more documentation on Infotek products, because there doesn't seem to be much out there aside from a few brief mentions of company history. The ADC board (AD-200 CONVERTER on the silkscreen) isn't particularly interesting to me, but the other board (DSP316) appears to be pretty much an assortment of bus-interface logic plus an ADSP-2100 DSP chip; if that's easy to hack on, it could be a bit fun
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup