Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Millennium bug.

Default Millennium bug.

Ok... at last it happened! I found a millennium bugged computer on my way!
    The issue is in the BIOS... if I change the date in DOS, it works flawlessly but, after a new boot, the date is completely out... Obviously changing the date in the BIOS is useless...
    I tried to look over the Internet but I have not found anything helpful and I do not think I can find a new BIOS...
    Do somebody have any solution? Like a DOS program that translate the date?

Thank you

The Commodore PC10-III only supports two digit years and is not Y2K compliant. I worked around it by creating a script and using a couple programs to take the date stored in the RTC and up-convert it to a modern year. You can read about it, along with the script, at the following URL:

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...10-III-Project

Heather

It would be useful to know what type of computer you have.

For example, is it an Olivetti M24 aka AT&T PC6300?

"It's a me-too, 8-bit machine with good graphics and a disk system nobody will support."
    -- Bill Gates, about the Sony SMC-70 with the new 3.5" floppy drives (InfoWorld; June 7, 1982)

Quote Originally Posted by ahm View Post
    It would be useful to know what type of computer you have.

For example, is it an Olivetti M24 aka AT&T PC6300?
    It is not a branded computer.
    It is simply an assembled computer:
    Adaptec AHA-1542CF/1540CF
    Aska SST2845E
    Chaintech CL-9028 VLB 2 Mb
    Creative SB16 CT4170
    "generic" motherboard SIMILAR to an AQUARIUS SYSTEMS MB-4DUVC MODEL 1
    CPU Intel 80486DX2-S 66 MHz
    16 Mb RAM
    generica 200W PSU
    1 FDD 3 da 1.44 Mb
    1 FDD 5 da 1.2 Mb
    1 Samsung WNR-31601A (1.6 Gb)
    1 WD Caviar 2120 (125 Mb) on a drawer

Thanx

I haven't come across this issue myself yet, but I expect to eventually. When that happens I have two approaches in mind:

1. use a utility invoked in autoexec.bat to fetch the correct time/date from another system on the network. assuming such a utility exists (or can be written).

2. rewind the year to something that works well. For example, 1985 is a good choice if you want the days of the week to match (April 25 fell on a Thursday in 1985, just like it has in 2019). 1969 is a good choice if you want an easy rule but don't care about weekdays falling on the correct dates (year - 50 is pretty easy), as long as the system you're using can handle it.

If the BIOS date is always offset after a reboot by a consistent amount, another option is to write a utility to adjust the date by that amount, again invoking it from autoexec.bat.

Blog Entries

A VLB motherboard that's ignorant of Y2K? Wow, there's a lack of foresight.

You can probably fix the mess with a BIOS update, if you can find one. If you use a third-party utility to set the RTC, does the BIOS try to reset it on boot?

Quote Originally Posted by kgober View Post
    I haven't come across this issue myself yet, but I expect to eventually. When that happens I have two approaches in mind:

1. use a utility invoked in autoexec.bat to fetch the correct time/date from another system on the network. assuming such a utility exists (or can be written).

2. rewind the year to something that works well. For example, 1985 is a good choice if you want the days of the week to match (April 25 fell on a Thursday in 1985, just like it has in 2019). 1969 is a good choice if you want an easy rule but don't care about weekdays falling on the correct dates (year - 50 is pretty easy), as long as the system you're using can handle it.

If the BIOS date is always offset after a reboot by a consistent amount, another option is to write a utility to adjust the date by that amount, again invoking it from autoexec.bat.
    At the moment I have decided for your second option. At the moment I have put 1996 since the day of the week is the same as 2019... I have to check if I can go back to 1985... let's cross the fingers...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    A VLB motherboard that's ignorant of Y2K? Wow, there's a lack of foresight.

You can probably fix the mess with a BIOS update, if you can find one. If you use a third-party utility to set the RTC, does the BIOS try to reset it on boot?
    Since I do not know the exact type of the mobo I cannot search for a suitable update! But I am going to look for Aquarius VLB BIOS update... it could be I am lucky! My mobo could be simply a different revision than the one I have found... they are veeeeeery similar...
    The BIOS does not reset... simply it does not accept a beyond 2000 year... it reset time/date only... I have not checked if there are some rules... if I remember well it simply changes to 2099 with "certain" month, day, time...

Blog Entries

There are several third-party tools that write the RTC date directly. It's not rocket science.

The other option is to lie to the computer. Why does it need to know what date it really is.
    Dwight