Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packard Bell Legend "Operating System Not Found"

Default Packard Bell Legend "Operating System Not Found"

Just got this old Packard Bell Legend for next to nothing and I'm trying to get it going with a new hard drive. The issue I'm having is it keeps telling me either "operating system not found" when I try to boot from a floppy. Currently I have everything but the floppy drive disconnected, I'm using a known good drive, and I've tried a new old stock copy of Windows 95, and 2 copies of 98se that I wrote fresh this morning. Any ideas?

Have you tried a DOS boot disk?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

BIOS settings for the hard drive parameters incorrect?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    The issue I'm having is it keeps telling me either "operating system not found" when I try to boot from a floppy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    BIOS settings for the hard drive parameters incorrect?
    How would that affect booting from a floppy?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

What model Packard Bell? I mean Legend covers everything from a 286 to Pentiums some of which can't work with Win 9x.

Blog Entries

What type of floppy? 5.25 or 3.5? Also, what is the BIOS set to have for floppies, and does that match the drive you are using (older BIOSes default to 360kb 5.25")?

In some cases, if the drive/BIOS expects a low density (360/720kb) drive and disk, but you are trying to boot from a HD disk, then you'd probably see this error as the system can't read the disk. So I would start by checking the BIOS settings. I would also try to boot my created boot disk in another machine just to verify it's not the problem.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    Currently I have everything but the floppy drive disconnected, I'm using a known good drive, and I've tried a new old stock copy of Windows 95, and 2 copies of 98se that I wrote fresh this morning. Any ideas?
    So you have a known good floppy drive or hard drive connected? If its just the floppy drive make sure the hard drive (master and slave) are set to NONE. Does the system have a cmos battery? Any leakage? Have you tried replacing it?

I have a known good 1.44mb drive with the bios recognizing it as a 1.44, the ide devices are all set to none, it has a good cmos battery, and the specific model is Legend 2440, although I'm thinking it may have a later motherboard because it's a socket 5 Pentium 133

Does the disk drive spin up? Does it seek? Do you have a known good floppy cable? With a twist?

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Does the disk drive spin up? Does it seek? Do you have a known good floppy cable? With a twist?
    Yes, yes, and yes. I've looked over it and I can't find anything wrong or even anything that could possibly be wrong