Image Map Image Map

Thread: Copying RL02 pack from PDP-11 to SIMH?

Question Copying RL02 pack from PDP-11 to SIMH?

Can someone please tell me the easiest way to send an RL02 image from my PDP-11/23+ to SIMH?

I used VTserver to create the pack (RT-11SJ, TSX+ 6.50), got it debugged and working on the real hardware, but now I need to copy my disk back over to SIMH so I have an image of the one that works.

I do have a comm line set up in TSX (CL0: ) on the PDP, so could connect that to a serial port on the PC. And 15 other timesharing lines available
    Can the data be received into a PC .dsk file, or possibly transferred within SIMH directly from the serial port to a simulated device? Is this what Kermit is good for?

Need a little hand-holding here, I've never tried to send data from the hardware back to SIMH.
    Thanks for any tips/tricks/instructions.

Found this: http://kermitproject.org/pdp11.html
    Working on bootstrapping Kermit over to the PDP-11 now
    It's overrunning the console port, so I need to insert some delays as advised. Pretty sure TeraTerm has that capability and if not, I'll use another terminal program.

If you have a Windows machine available - Check out http://www.retrocmp.com/tools/pdp11gui . There is a Disk Image section see http://www.retrocmp.com/pdp-11/pdp11...ages-readwrite .

Slow by nature due to the serial port limitations. You can capture the disk image directly from the console, regardless whether the PDP11 involved is bootable from its disk.

Jerry

An old, slow (300 MHz) Win XP box is what I have for the PDP-11 front end (when not using the real VT220).

Once I got enough delay set in character and line, it would still bomb out under RT-11SJ even on the short file (KRTHEX.MAC, 4 KB) after a couple of minutes. Error was "?Mon-F-stack overflow 4." So I booted TSX+ and tried it that way - works fine. Go figure... I guess TSX+ has better stack handling or something (the 11/23+ has a full 4 MB RAM). Now trying it on the full program (KRT.HEX, 234 KB).

If that doesn't work, I may give PDP11GUI a shot. Thanks for the tip.

Got Kermit-11 installed with surprisingly little trouble... it does work, and is quite useful for transferring small files to/from the PC.
    But it is so slooooooooow! (Even allowing for the limitations of a 9600 baud console port).
    I uploaded the hard-to-replace TSGEN.MAC to the PC for safekeeping, which is the most important part for the moment.

However, although I could just let it run overnight to transmit the entire *.* contents of the TSX+ pack (7-8 MB), I would end up with a lot of individual files in a Windows directory. and still not have a finished .dsk (image). Could I use PUTR to copy all files in a folder to an RL02 virtual disk with wildcards? If so, that'd be better (but still not a complete, bootable RT11 image)...

If not, time to check out the PDP11GUI you suggested I'm trying to make this process as automated as possible (like vtserver).

PDP11GUI is nice as it doesn't depending on a working OS on the other end. It will copy the entire disk as an single image.

If you have a DEQNA or a DELNA card, you can do the transfer of files over FTP. Speed is somewhat dependent on the processor. I have seen ~15Kb/sec on an 11/73 using Alan Baldwin's package http://shop-pdp.net/index.php. An 11/23 will be a little slower.

There are some options in Kermit to speed up just a bit, but you are in the 1-2Kb/sec range for 9600 or 19200 baud.