Image Map Image Map

Thread: Model 4 BBS

Default Model 4 BBS

I have been dowloading every BBS software package I can find and trying to run on my TRS-80 Model 4. I tried Zeta and the others mostly under LS-DOS. I tried a couple under LDOS. I can't get any of them to run.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a BBS that I can play with and run on the Model 4? I would really like it to run under LS-DOS or LDOS.

Thanks!

Kurt
    -------------------------------------------------------

My Vintage Computer Collection

If you include CP/M, that opens the number of software packages up quite a bit.

You might also check http://software.bbsdocumentary.com if you haven't already.

g.
    Proud owner of 80-0007
    http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

I ran a Tandy Trader BBS back in the day under LDOS on a model 4. TTBBS is in the archives of the BBS Documentary as far as I can tell. If you want something really customizable, grab a copy of the Greene Machine and play with it, but you'll need NewDOS as far as I recall for it to work properly. As I recall both of these were early freeware/open-source before open-source was even a 'thing.' The Greene Machine is listed as being public domain at the BBS Documentary's downloads page.

Neither of these is a simple plug-and-play install and operate kind of thing; you'll need to do a fair bit of work to get either one up and running.

There is a whole list at http://software.bbsdocumentary.com/TANDY/TRS-80/
    --
    Bughlt: Sckmud
    Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!

Hi Kurt, most people who ran BBSs modified the programs somewhat to make them run at all or customise them for their own application. It would be very hard to find a ready to run BBS app for a M3 or 4 which worked out of the box without some amount of tinkering.

I would start by looking at the 80micro 1984 series BBS Express which contains a complete listing for a BBS system over many months which has good descriptions about each module so as to be easy to customise.

I read the articles at the time and learned a fair but though I never ran a BBS.

Ian.
    *There is never a charge for Tech Support even if you don't purchase from me - We are Enthusiasts Helping Other Enthusiast and that is just the way it is

PBBS is one I have run across recently that was easy to set up.

the towne crier bbs was pretty easy to configure on a model 3, probably need to be changed around to run on a model 4 mode though.