Image Map Image Map

Thread: Security system question

Blog Entries

Default Security system question

It's never a reasonably great idea to be talking about your home security system in public but this is something that bothers me.
    This house came with an 80's Radio Shack fire/burglar alarm panel (called the Professional Alarm Center). The original wiring was a mess and I ended up rewiring everything because these days it's easy to add modern PIR sensors to it and have it email my phone when it goes off.

Anyways It looks snazzy but I can't figure out what is so special about the "Day Instant" Zone 4. I cannot find the manual for the panel online. Only the lower-end Personal Alarm Center. Best I've seen so far is that regardless of the system status if that zone opens the pre-alarm starts but it's not a Panic/Tamper circuit, as that's the loop right next to it on the terminals.
    = Excellent space heater

Day zones are used if you want to have the perimeter armed and have occupants remain inside the protected area.

On modern panels, you can configure which zones are day zones in the firmware, which is way better than hardwired.

Hey, we installed that very panel in the house we lived in, in the early 90s!

IIRC, and it has been like 20 years since I last played with one of those, "Day Instant" was delayed during nighttime mode and instant during day mode. I want to say our keypad had separate outputs for day arm/night arm modes.

Blog Entries

Nah, I armed the house and tripped that zone and it just instantly went off.
    So I completely forgot about the Tandy Faxback Archive. For those who don't know what it was, pretty much every product Radio Shack sold had documentation available if you knew the phone number and had a fax machine. After the system went down the entire text repository was archived. My alarm panel is listed and NOW I understand how Zone 4 works.

Day Loop Sounder - uses the same sounder as the pre-alarm but acts as an
    announcer for opening doors, etc. on the day instant loop or zone.
    Sounds as long as door is open.

Check loop 4 to DISARM mode.
    The Pre-alarm connected to terminals 20 and 21 is turned on during a
    violation of loop 4 when the unit is set to the DISARM mode.
    Okay, I guess that's how it works.
    Last edited by NeXT; May 2nd, 2019 at 05:31 PM.
    = Excellent space heater

Just got so many good and bad memories from this post. Installed the exact same system in my buddies house in the early 90's. House was being built so the wiring was really easy. Just a few long days doing the work.

A good thing about zone 4 is for example : You can wire a slider or any other door that goes outside to a pool and the system will alert anytime. Nice if you have kids. A bit annoying if you go in and out of that door a lot.