Image Map Image Map

Thread: Searching for a Toshiba T1850C floppy drive replacement

Question Searching for a Toshiba T1850C floppy drive replacement

Hi everyone!

I have to replace the floppy drive of my T1850C. It is a Matsushita EME-278T.
    The read/write head mechanism isn't fixed, so it is just lying there and i can't put disks in the drive.

Does anyone know what kind of drives i can use as a replacement / where to buy them?
    Notice that the connector is 26 conductor flex cable.

I would also go with an emulator, but i prefer real floppy drives.

Thank you in advance!

I happen to have a T1850C and know where you're coming from. Mine, I was lucky enough to just have to replace the drive belt. I found a 67mm 1x1mm belt was a perfect fit here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDIO-CAS...T/302466547242.

I've also been modifying a gotek floppy emulator to work with it and with my T3400CT. See my thread here for my progress http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewt...hp?f=33&t=3615. I also needed an adapter to bring the 1.25mm pitch FPC cable down to a 1mm pitch FPC cable. The only place I've found them was here: https://www.floppyemulator.com/produ...0-fpc-adapter/ Obviously the adapter will allow you to use more modern drives with 1mm pitch FPC cables too.

Whether you go for a replacement floppy drive or an emulator, whatever you use must supply a ready signal to the laptop. The early Toshibas require it. Some modern floppies have a jumper to enable it, others won't do it at all. The HXC2001 firmware enables it with a config file option, again, see my thread linked.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for me respondig late.
    If I'm going to replace the floppy drive, I will go with the emulator you linked, although I find $25 a bit too much for such a simple adapter.
    I will continue this Thread when I repaired it, although i have more important things to repair at the time so that probably will not be soon.
    Thanks again

-ZapdoZ

There's a drive FS on eBay.

I had found a T3200 at a local swap meet years ago. Ran perfect except for the floppy drive.."Not Ready Reading Drive A:" I wanted to upgrade DOS but couldn't. I got around it by getting a SCSI controller with onboard floppy drive support on the card. Installed it right in the rear ISA slot and it worked. Eventually I so happened to see a Citizen Floppy drive with the special connector on Ebay. Snagged it and tore the 3200 apart. It worked perfect with the first disk.
    PS/2s--M-30,M-40SX,M-50Z, M-57, M-70, M-77, M-80

You might try a Teac FD-05 floppy or a Citizen W1D drive if the connector and floppy out lever matches the locations on the original drive.