Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tandy 1000 mouse

Default Tandy 1000 mouse

Am I correct that the Tandy 1000 series mouse with the DIN connector is really just a joystick with a different form factor? I'm guessing this is the case, as I've never seen another mouse with a pair of analog pots in it.

(For the younger folks, computer mice are generally digital devices.)
    Auf wiedersehen, schweinhund!

As a certain TV sidekick used to say, "You are correct, sir". (Assuming you're referring to either the black single-button "Color Mouse" or the white two-button "Deluxe Color Mouse" which looked more conventional.) There's a driver to make it pretend to be a real mouse but it doesn't work particularly well.

Yes, this is the white 2-button mouse with a steel (!) ball. They must need the mass of the steel ball to maintain enough pressure & friction to reliably drive the (viscous damped) pot shafts. What an odd little thing.

Interesting about the driver, I wasn't aware of it. Need to look at that sometime, but you say it's dodgy?
    Auf wiedersehen, schweinhund!

That mouse was a carryover from the Color Computer. Beginning with the 1000TX, later Tandy 1000 models included a serial port and thus were most commonly used with a normal (for the time) Microsoft-compatible serial mouse.

It was the worst input device I've ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by WimWalther View Post
    Interesting about the driver, I wasn't aware of it. Need to look at that sometime, but you say it's dodgy?
    There's a mention of the necessary driver on the oldskool Tandy FAQ. The "it doesn't work particularly well" comes from a passing reference to it I saw... somewhere, that said the pointer tended to jitter fairly badly. Which probably makes sense given the limits of PC joystick port resolution. Maybe it beats no mouse at all.

(I never used that type of mouse on a Tandy 1000 but I did have one on a Color Computer when I was a kid. The problem with that setup was without a third-party hardware device the joystick port resolution was only 64x64, which was insufficient to achieve pixel-level resolution on a machine with a pretty low screen resolution even by the standards of the day.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    (I never used that type of mouse on a Tandy 1000 but I did have one on a Color Computer when I was a kid. The problem with that setup was without a third-party hardware device the joystick port resolution was only 64x64, which was insufficient to achieve pixel-level resolution on a machine with a pretty low screen resolution even by the standards of the day.)
    That's why Tandy came out with the High Resolution Joystick Interface for the CoCo. (It won't work with the Tandy 1000s because one of the plugs goes into the cassette port, which the 1000 doesn't have.)

http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index....ystick_Adapter

Oh, yeah, you're right, Tandy sold one too. I was remembering the ROM-Pak style one they pushed in the CoCo Max! ads in The Rainbow.

Blog Entries

I don't remember that mouse option from back in the late 80's. I wound up with a bus mouse that seemed to be like a 'plug & play' option back then. I still have it and it still works whenever I run my SX.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I bought one of these for my Tandy 1000s a couple of years ago and was not impressed by the jitteriness of the cursor. Honestly the mouse is no better than a Tandy Deluxe Joystick once you unhook the self-centering latches from the base. Actually, the Joystick can show you when you reach the end of the of the axis' range of movement, the Mouse cannot.
    My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/