Image Map Image Map

Thread: QBUS SCSI Choices

Default QBUS SCSI Choices

I recently acquired a PDP-11/53 system in the BA23 chassis (Thanks Jack!). It has an RQDX3 but I'm leaning toward getting a SCSI controller for either disk or tape or both. I've read the multiple threads here and other places. Most are getting a little old. Given the current Ebay prices on Emulex UC07's, CMD CQD-220/420/440/etc and Dilog controllers what are people's preferences these days? Given that I can get a UC07 for $240 Or two for $420 from Keyways, is the CMD a better controller worth the $350-$400 they get on Ebay? Are there cheaper places? Anyone have a good one they would sell?

My target disk would probably actually be a SCSI2HD card if that makes any difference. Probably a V5.1 version. I do have a couple 18GB SCSI disks available but they are SCA interface and I'd have to get a 50-pin converter. Seems a bit of overkill anyway for a system that I'll probably only have at most a couple hundred MB.

Thanks for your advice.

Hi, I have used both a UC07 and CMD CQD in my 11/53. Both work well with SCSI2SD. I currently use a CMD CQD in my LSI-11/02 in BA11-VA running RT11. I bought the S-Box handle CMD CQD card because it was cheap and just drilled the rivets out. The good thing about this card is that it has the DEC MMJ socket attached and I could get a direct serial connection.

There is also a SCSI + floppy controller from DEC, it's the RQZX1.

If you are hunting around for a QBUS SCSI, please keep in mind that a SCSI interface could work with DISK (MSCP), TAPE (TMSCP) or DISK/TAPE.
    Also for the very same board there were often different firmware/prom versions, so double check that you are taking the right one for you.
    Obviously DISK/TAPE interfaces are more flexible, specially when can manage both together at the same time and on the same SCSI chain,
    but there's more request, so usually cost more.

Andrea

Thanks for your information. Which CMD card do you have? I have a SCSI tape drive that I'd be interested in attaching so I suppose the CMD board with the TM would work for both at once? I think I read that in one of the manuals. If I went with the Emulex I'd have to get one for each, I believe.

Blog Entries

Glen Slick has the ultimate site for information on the various CMD cards and clones - https://sites.google.com/site/glensv...d-cdu-720-scsi and other items on the same page.