Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compaq Portable 286

Default Compaq Portable 286

Hey guys,

Jim from Ribbon Recyclers in Williston, Vermont is shutting down for good in mid June. Some of you might remember my photos of his small warehouse with all the TV broadcasting equipment. He has this Compaq Portable 286 he would like to take offers on. He ships worldwide. Give him a call if interested. I attached his business card. Nice guy. It turns on and it looks complete, but needs to be configured since the battery has died. Probably will need a setup disk.

IMG_3901.jpgAttachment 52950Attachment 52951Attachment 52952Attachment 52953IMG_3900.jpgIMG_3898.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by liqmat View Post
    It turns on and it looks complete, but needs to be configured since the battery has died. Probably will need a setup disk.
    Setup disks are a dime a dozen and readily available.

If he were smart he would run the setup himself and then probably get twice as much (or more) for it.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

He has an entire warehouse of equipment to dispose of and no time for the small details. I'm sure someone will be glad to perform that task if they're interested.

Sorry about the broken attachments. Difficult to manipulate on my phone. Let's try that again.

IMG_3901.jpgIMG_3892.jpgIMG_3895.jpgIMG_3894.jpgIMG_3896.jpgIMG_3893.jpgIMG_3900.jpgIMG_3898.jpg

On the last attachment, does it say 640KB on there? That Compaq Portable is in pretty good shape.
    Current retro systems:
    2x Commodore 64 Breadbin 250407 Rev. B and C
    Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus, aka, the Ultimate Sound Card machine
    iMac G3/600 Graphite, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, Lubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
    iMac G4/800 Lampshade, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
    YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroPCUser

Quote Originally Posted by retro-pc_user View Post
    On the last attachment, does it say 640KB on there? That Compaq Portable is in pretty good shape.
    Aye. That it does and yes it is.

Which battery does the system use?

Looks like it's a rare system, few of them were made before the Portable II and Portable III. https://www.vintagecomputer.net/brow...ead.cfm?id=442

Similar to the Portable/Portable Plus in size and other things. I'll try to contact him before the weekend as I will be out of town. I found another forum that has the diagnostics or BIOS diskette in a ZIP file, except EXE or COM files, so I'll need loads of 360KB diskettes. Good thing my Packard Bell has a dual floppy drive installed, however, the diskettes I have are 1.2MB only, sadly, however, I have a couple of 720KB diskettes left, so I can install a 720KB diskette drive in the system, set it up, and check to see which battery it uses.
    Current retro systems:

I've got one of those, a local PC repair shop happened to get it in for recycling and since I know the owner well he gave me a good deal. Great computers, if you're feeling confident in your arm strength.

Which type of battery does the unit use, itsvince725? I'm thinking about buying the system sometime, however, money is kind of tight right now with surprise bills and I need to fix the fuel system on my car at the moment and the brakes.
    Current retro systems:

I don't know, mine doesn't seem to have a battery as far as I'm aware. It also doesn't have a hard disk.