Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS won't start

A POST code reader on the parallel port can sometimes help. On my functional 430CDT, powering it up with one of [these] connected to the parallel port, results in POST codes being displayed, per pages 2-10 through 2-12 of the 430's maintenance manual. Available on eBay (e.g. item 283223726107).

It is possible that two distinct problems are present, one relating to the hard drive, and one related to video. Maybe both are related to each other. But, I think that you should treat them as distinct. I think the 'no video' symptom is the one to target first. So, with that in mind:

As you now know, a bad main battery in the 430 series can cause the 'no video' symptom, and accordingly, you removed the main battery and still had the symptom.

I did an experiment with my functional 430CDT, which was to remove more stuff. So, with all three batteries and the hard drive removed, I observed:

1. I plugged in the AC power cord. The 'AC power' LED above the keyboard (at far right) turned on (green).
    2. I pushed the power button. The 'power' LED above the keyboard (at far left) turned on (green).
    3. A few seconds later, the 'CAPS lock' LED above the keyboard flashed on three times.
    4. About 5 seconds later, I saw a couple of lines of text momentarily appear on the screen. The text starts 'Toshiba Video BIOS'.
    5. The aforementioned text was very quickly replaced by a flashing underline cursor at the far left of the screen. The POST code reader on the parallel port showed code 5A (right LED block).
    6. About 2 minutes (minutes, not seconds) later, the 'disk' LED above the keyboard flashed on once, then the cursor was replaced by a message starting '**** Bad check sum (CMOS) ****'. The POST code reader on the parallel port showed code FF (right LED block).

I repeated the above sequence a few times (to prove repeatability).

Do you see see the status LED's above the keyboard behave per steps 1, 2, 3, and 6, above ?

In doing the above sequence many times, the video problem in my primary 430CDT resurfaced a few times. In most cases, there was something on the screen (lines, or strange patterns, or corrupted text), but once, the screen was just black. in all cases, the fix was to slightly flex the display, noting that sometimes the fix was BOTH to flex the display and then power off/on the 430CDT. One of these days, I will pull apart the display and attempt to fix this intermittent problem.

I have another 430CDT that I bought for spare parts. It has a 'no display' symptom, which I believe may be due to a faulty LCD inverter. Something else to get around to. (And the backup/resume battery had leaked, damaging the keyboard connector on the system board, and damaging the ribbon cable on the keyboard.)

Thank you, modem7. Your help is much appreciated. I tried the test you mentioned above, with all three batteries and hard drive removed. I timed my test at 4 minutes and tried it several times. See results below, with my comments in CAPS.

I did try flexing the screen a number of times during and between rounds of testing as you suggested.

1. I plugged in the AC power cord. The 'AC power' LED above the keyboard (at far right) turned on (green). I SEE THIS
    2. I pushed the power button. The 'power' LED above the keyboard (at far left) turned on (green). I SEE THIS
    3. A few seconds later, the 'CAPS lock' LED above the keyboard flashed on three times. I DID NOT SEE THIS
    4. About 5 seconds later, I saw a couple of lines of text momentarily appear on the screen. The text starts 'Toshiba Video BIOS'. NOTHING EVER APPEARS ON MY SCREEN
    5. The aforementioned text was very quickly replaced by a flashing underline cursor at the far left of the screen. The POST code reader on the parallel port showed code 5A (right LED block).
    6. About 2 minutes (minutes, not seconds) later, the 'disk' LED above the keyboard flashed on once, then the cursor was replaced by a message starting '**** Bad check sum (CMOS) ****'. The POST code reader on the parallel port showed code FF (right LED block). I DID NOT SEE THE DISK LED FLASH OR ANYTHING ON THE SCREEN

After reading your comment about the resume battery leaking, I looked at mine closer and noticed evidence of leakage. I also see some evidence of corrosion on the circuit board (mother board?) under where this battery sat in the computer. Does this along with the test results above suggest the mother board is damaged?

With the 'power' LED being on, I think you can safely assume that the power supply unit (Toshiba name it the "AC PS Unit") is functional. I could not see anything in the maintenance manual where one could make voltage measurements to be absolutely sure.

The fact that you did not see the 'CAPS lock' LED flash (nor the later flash of the disc LED) suggests to me that the system board is either not starting, or is starting, but one of the early tests in the POST is failing. If the latter, the 'parallel port monitoring POST board' that I referred to in post #11 should reveal that.

Quote Originally Posted by racer914 View Post
    After reading your comment about the resume battery leaking, I looked at mine closer and noticed evidence of leakage. I also see some evidence of corrosion on the circuit board (mother board?) under where this battery sat in the computer. Does this along with the test results above suggest the mother board is damaged?
    It suggests the possibility.

Would it be a fool's errand to try cleaning the mother board to see if it returns the computer to normal function? Or time to find a replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by racer914 View Post
    Would it be a fool's errand to try cleaning the mother board to see if it returns the computer to normal function?
    Worth doing because you may then see a copper track (or more) that has been eaten through. If the case, there may be someone local who can repair the track for you.