Image Map Image Map

Thread: Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS won't start

Default Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS won't start

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, and hoping to get some help. I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS laptop with a Pentium and running Windows 95 that worked until recently, but now won't start. I have this laptop to program some older aftermarket automobile engine management software that doesn't play nicely with newer computers. This laptop generally worked well for me for a year or two after I got it. Now when I try to turn it on, it briefly makes the usual startup sounds, including what I think may be the hard drive momentarily trying to start. Then nothing aside from what I assume to be a fan running. Nothing ever appears on the display.

A few observations/notes:
    - I tried plugging in a modern monitor using the VGA plug to rule out a display issue. Nothing.
    - Before the computer stopped working, I was getting "Bad RTC battery" errors on each startup, which I understand is related to the CMOS. I've since read that if the CMOS battery is far enough gone that it can can odd behavior possibly including not starting up. Could it cause the problem I'm experiencing?
    - I recall getting some hard drive errors not long before it stopped working. It happened a couple times. I was prompted to perform a repair function like chkdisk (but don't recall exactly), and each time the computer seemed to function normally again after that.
    - I managed to download a Toshiba service manual for this model, and the steps suggest that the display could be the issue, but I think I may have ruled that out testing with the external monitor.

Any suggestions for things to check appreciated! Thank you.

Scott

Some notebooks don't even POST without a good RTC battery, though most do. It shouldn't be complicated to replace it in your Toshiba. I'd also check the power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by ph4nt0m View Post
    Some notebooks don't even POST without a good RTC battery, though most do. It shouldn't be complicated to replace it in your Toshiba. I'd also check the power supply.
    I guess you can rule that out since he had it booting without the RTC (=real time clock) backup battery working bdfore that. Usually the config setting will go to default and show you a config screen, but it depends on wether the config needs the battery or not. If I remember correctly, holding down one of the function keys (+ Fn?) during boot should take you into the satellite config screen. I don't remember the exact key, but they have markings on them showing their alternate functions.

The external display won't work until you switch it on. That is also done through one of the function keys I believe. I can look at my own satellite(if I can find it) and tell you more about the exact key combination later.

Thanks guys. Is it possible that the RTC/CMOS battery was "good enough" before to at least run the computer and it just became insufficient recently?

I did try removing the main power battery. The computer still won't boot.

Thanks for the point about the monitor button. It looks like F5 performs that function. I'll have to head to the library to try the external monitor again.

5. Default

Hey! also new to this forum, just picked up a 435cds with the same exact issue. they are the same computer with different software/warranty options , would really like to get it working. i read on this link that there was a issue regarding the original battery causing issues and the pc wont even post. took the battery out/ checked multiple monitors and even tried the f5 button got nothing.

http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manu...oshiba.htm#435

Quote Originally Posted by racer914 View Post
    Thanks guys. Is it possible that the RTC/CMOS battery was "good enough" before to at least run the computer and it just became insufficient recently?
    Yes.

Quality CMOS batteries can last for decades before the voltage gets low enough to not maintain the CMOS settings. I have some 30 year old Tadiran lithium batteries which still have enough of a charge to work today.

My 1994 Zeos 486 motherboard just recently had the RTC battery go bad inside the Dallas time chip, which makes it 25 years old.

I have a Toshiba 430CDT that I use without issue with both the RTC and Suspend (or whatever it's called) batteries removed and it boots just fine. The RTC battery I had still actually worked fine but since it is now over 20 years old, I didn't want to risk leaving it in anymore in case it started leaking out all over the motherboard.

I cannot be 100% certain in your case, but given that the difference between my 430CDT and your 430CDS is literally just the type of display, I'd guess the RTC battery is not the problem.

I have a Toshiba 430CDT which has experienced three different causes of the 'no display' symptom. For all three causes, I could hear Windows 95 starting up (there was over a minute of hard drive activity that could be heard). I list the causes in the 'Known problems' section of [here].