Image Map Image Map

Thread: The F7/F8 Key On My C128 Is Dead. How Do I Fix It?

Default The F7/F8 Key On My C128 Is Dead. How Do I Fix It?

This problem has haunted me for several years now: The F7/F8 key on my C128 is Deceased!

You'd be astonished how many software programs make important use of the F7/F8 key, rendering such programs unusable to me!

How do I fix a dead F7/F8 key?!?

--C128User

Disassemble the keyboard and clean it. There are other shortcuts but I wouldn't take them in this case.

By the way, welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Disassemble the keyboard and clean it. There are other shortcuts but I wouldn't take them in this case.

By the way, welcome!

Thanks! Now, how do I disassemble my keyboard? Any time my C128 has been opened, I've noticed the keyboard has been sealed behind a solid brown sheet of material within the upper portion of the case, secured with extremely tiny screws, and obviously not intended to be tampered with! Help?

--C128User
    <C128User@FVI.Net>

Could you post a picture? My B128 and C128 are the only C= products I have that I haven't had to disassemble yet.

Quote Originally Posted by C128User View Post
    Thanks! Now, how do I disassemble my keyboard? Any time my C128 has been opened, I've noticed the keyboard has been sealed behind a solid brown sheet of material within the upper portion of the case, secured with extremely tiny screws, and obviously not intended to be tampered with! Help?

--C128User
    <C128User@FVI.Net>
    From your description it just sounds like any other Commodore keyboard - there should be either screws or clips holding the keyboard to the upper half of the case, then once the keyboard is free from the casing desolder the leads on the Shift Lock key (as they are run through the board) and undo all the tiny screws. The brown circuit board will pull off (carefully guide the leads going to the shift lock key through as you pull it off) allowing you to clean the contacts on the board and also on the keys. When reassembling test that it works before soldering the shift lock key back in.

You wrote:

...desolder the leads on the Shift Lock key... before soldering the shift lock key back in...

Solder?!? I've never soldered anything before in my life! I don't even own a soldering gun -- which is just as well, because the mere idea of using one gives me the "heebue-jeebies!" So... now what???

Buy a nice Weller soldering station, and some Kester 44 solder, 63/37, and have at it. You don't even need any kind of desoldering equipment for this job.

Quote Originally Posted by C128User View Post
    You wrote:

...desolder the leads on the Shift Lock key... before soldering the shift lock key back in...

Solder?!? I've never soldered anything before in my life! I don't even own a soldering gun -- which is just as well, because the mere idea of using one gives me the "heebue-jeebies!" So... now what???
    Snip the wires near the middle and strip & twist them back together when reassembling. (I can hear the purists screaming... )

You could try disassembling the keyboard while leaving the switch connected but it's very awkward to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Snip the wires near the middle and strip & twist them back together when reassembling. (I can hear the purists screaming... )
    That's what I did with the similar wire you find on PET keyboards, so I approve of this suggestion.