Image Map Image Map

Thread: Do you own a Prometheus Versacard for the Apple II? I need a copy of the ROM

Default Do you own a Prometheus Versacard for the Apple II? I need a copy of the ROM

Do any of you happen to have a Prometheus Versacard for the Apple II? I'm having some problems with mine and it's beginning to look like the EPROM has gone bad. When I boot up ProDOS it crashes most of the time. Doing a disassembly on the ROM from within the Apple II shows garbage instructions in a few places which is why I suspect it crashes. When I pull the EPROM and stick it in my TL866 I get a lot of random byte changes in several locations each time I read it.

If you've got a card I'd love to get a copy of your ROM. You don't need an EPROM reader if you've got a working Apple II. The ROM is a 2716 and fits entirely in the 2k area and can be copied using the monitor on the Apple II.

If you happen to have any of the software that goes with the Versacard I'd love to get a copy of that too!

Quote Originally Posted by FozzTexx View Post
    If you've got a card I'd love to get a copy of your ROM.
    @DiskBlitz on twitter sent me a copy of his ROM and said he'll be uploading it to the Apple II Documentation Project too. His ROM is quite a bit different than mine. My card has a 2716 EPROM and his uses a 2732 with only the upper half containing the Versacard firmware and the lower half is for some other Prometheus card.

I burned his ROM and put it on my card and ProDOS still seems to not like it. After looking at the disassembly of his ROM, I'm no longer sure if mine is corrupted or not. I'll have to look into it some more. The main reason I wanted a good ROM was to see if I could alter the functionality a bit.

I do, but I only have an Apple IIgs, which isn't known to be Versacard friendly. Not going to happen for two weeks though.

I found that if I let the Versacard warm up for about 5 minutes then ProDOS is happy and will boot fine. I tested a bunch of the 74xx logic ICs in my TL866 and they were fine. I couldn't test the four 74ls85 chips since the TL866 doesn't support them. I'm sure it has something to do with ProDOS not liking something with the clock but I don't know what. When I run a program under DOS 3.3 there's no problem reading the date & time from the card.

Another thing that's strange is that I have to set all the dip switches opposite of what the manual describes. I verified that the label on the switch packages is correct and ON is closed. For example the manual says to put the parallel port in slot 1 I would set the switches to off-on-on but it's actually on-off-off.

I found my card. Its clearly a later revision on a BLUE PCB with a 1983 production date and ROM Rev. VCD 1.52.

Quote Originally Posted by njroadfan View Post
    I found my card. Its clearly a later revision on a BLUE PCB with a 1983 production date and ROM Rev. VCD 1.52.
    If you can get a copy of that ROM that would be great! It would be useful to compare to mine and the one I got from DiskBlitz. On the back of my card on the front edge it says "REV D".

You say that the card isn't known for working in the IIgs, and the disassembly of the two ROMs I have looks odd. I wonder if they did use undocumented 6502 instructions.

Code:
    C200   2C 58 FF   BIT $FF58
    C203   70 04      BVS $C209
    C205   18         CLC
    C206   B0 38      BCS $C240
    C208   B8         CLV
    C209   48         PHA
    C20A   A9 00      LDA #$00
    C20C   8D 78 04   STA $0478
    C20F   98         TYA
    C210   48         PHA
    C211   8A         TXA
    C212   48         PHA
    C213   08         PHP
    C214   78         SEI
    C215   AD FF CF   LDA $CFFF
    C218   20 89 C8   JSR $C889
    C21B   57         ???
    C21C   32         ???
    C21D   B9 83 C0   LDA $C083,Y
    C220   29 20      AND #$20
    You can see at C21B-C21C that it doesn't seem to disassemble correctly.

Post up the monitor instructions to dump. I can give it a shot on a spare IIgs with my FloppyEMU from ProDOS. I think the reason it wasn't IIgs friendly was it's phantom slotting system.

Quote Originally Posted by njroadfan View Post
    Post up the monitor instructions to dump. I can give it a shot on a spare IIgs with my FloppyEMU from ProDOS. I think the reason it wasn't IIgs friendly was it's phantom slotting system.
    Or ProDOS may hate the clock part just like I'm seeing on my II+. If ProDOS doesn't boot you could boot into DOS3.3 and save to disk, pull the card and then boot into GS/OS and read the file off the DOS3.3 disk. Or use CONVERT from ProDOS Users Disk to copy the file to ProDOS.

Assuming the card is in slot 2:

* C200.C23F
    * C800.C83F

If the hex dump from both of those is identical, then do

* 2000<C800.CFFEM

Ctrl-C RETURN to get back to basic, and do:

] BSAVE VCD.15.ROM,A$2000,L2048

If you put the card in a different slot, then change C200.C23F to Cx00.Cx3F, with x being the slot number.

See attached dump.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Looks great! Thanks so much!