Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kaypro II - Yes! A telephone cable works fine for the keyboard!

Quote Originally Posted by mikerm View Post
    I was debating if I should start a new thread or not...

I hope someone sees this before they commit to spending a lot of money on a Kaypro, 2 other people already fell for it. There's an eBay auction now selling "Kaypro keyboard cables" for the asking price of $18 plus shipping:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/One-1-CP-M-...t/202593787794

I have 3 big problems with this auction:
    1. This is literally just a standard every-day 7ft phone cable, that he is charging a lot for. This isn't illegal or anything obviously, but I find it in really poor taste. Especially selling it as some special Kaypro keyboard cable.
    2. The warning on the bottom is false, and makes no sense. A standard handset cable (which is what the Kaypro uses) works perfectly fine. I have a stack of different Kaypro's and ALL of them have replacement cables. If he means line cords, it doesn't matter because their connectors don't fit. Maybe the warning should be "don't put a 4p4c connector on a line cord to use on the Kaypro" instead.
    3. Being this is (as previously stated) a standard handset cord, you can get them on eBay for $5, shipped.

Here's the thing. I love when people do/make something to help the community. I love when people try to help. I DON'T love when people basically scam people because they aren't knowledgeable enough to know better.
    If you are going to post an auction for Kayrpo keyboard cables, make it around the same cost as the product. Maybe a $1-$2 more on top if you actually tested each cable.

The only limitation I have found is length. Anything longer than 7ft (uncoiled) usually won't work. It doesn't do damage, it just doesn't work. Of course, it doesn't fit in the tray either anyway.

Edit: Found the pictures in another auction: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-6-5FT-Bl...Y/293081791218. Ooooops. haha
    Thanks for throwing my auction under the bus Mike... Maybe ask me first?
    So I make the cables.. Most phone cables use very thin wires and have too much resistance to work reliably. I make cables with the proper resistance to work. So before you go trashing my auction maybe investigate a bit eh?

We are circling back to the original discussion, but the Kaypro keyboard cable, as designed and manufactured, is NOT the same as a telephone handset cable. They have the same "pin out" and connector, but the Kaypro-manufactured keyboard cables used a larger gauge wire, so they had lower resistance and thus were less susceptible to noise/interference. The statement that a "telephone cable" can cause damage is a bit vague, as a "telephone HANDSET cable" won't cause damage but may not operate satisfactorily. A "telephone LINE cable" would cause damage, if you could actually get the plugs to mate (or if you forced them - causing physical damage as well).
    - Doug

Quote Originally Posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    Tray? Like a storage tray? Does the Kaypro have somewhere to store the keyboard cable that I havenít noticed?

I didnít realize VERAULT is whoís selling those! I bet he just genuinely doesnít know itís the same.
    Its not the same. New cables use cheap thin wires wrapped around... String maybe and the resistance is way too high.. they don't work. I did alot of testing on my kaypros to figure this out. Old cables maybe 25+ years old or older with actual braided copper will work. Check the resistance first.

Quote Originally Posted by durgadas311 View Post
    They have the same "pin out" and connector, but the Kaypro-manufactured keyboard cables used a larger gauge wire, so they had lower resistance and thus were less susceptible to noise/interference.

Yes yes yes.

And certainly noone has to buy from me, but don't go and say "They are the same thing..." They are not the same thing, as mentioned above.
    Last edited by VERAULT; May 15th, 2019 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Yes yes yes.

And certainly noone has to buy from me, but don't go and say "They are the same thing..." They are not the same thing, as mentioned above.
    Totally agree with your posts, but it is fair to say that the line in your auction that says 'DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CONNECT AN ACTUAL PHONE CABLE TO YOUR KAYPRO COMPUTER AS IT WILL RESULT IN DAMAGE' might be an exaggeration in the case of the Kaypro.

As an aside, who's using a 7' or longer cable on a luggable.
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Totally agree with your posts, but it is fair to say that the line in your auction that says 'DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CONNECT AN ACTUAL PHONE CABLE TO YOUR KAYPRO COMPUTER AS IT WILL RESULT IN DAMAGE' might be an exaggeration in the case of the Kaypro. I don't believe there is any way to connect anything but a handset cable, and those are fine (if not optimal).

As an aside, who's using a 7' or longer cable on a luggable.
    Well its a vague disclaimer... There are plenty of RJ10 and RJ11 cables that have various pin-outs. Found not necessarily on telecom items. I can make a plea to have people check the color pin-outs on their cable ends first but most people would have no idea what I am talking about.. And if I ask them to use a multi meter to test resistance... well we know where that will go.
    Buy the way, my eBay positive feedback just hit 1902 today the last one I received was by someone I sold a cable to. He is happy with it.

I'm not in it to make money.. I'm offering a service. I sold 4 I think. Just offering what some people might not have.

I sell refurbished kaypro key switches too. Sold those as well.. And keycaps.. sold alot of those. I don't feel bad about selling kaypro parts. Someone needs to offer them.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    If there is, I'd sure like to know about it. My biggest gripe with luggable computers is all the stuff you always have to lug around with them, but the manufacturer didn't think to give you somewhere to put it all.
    Actually, both the Osborne 1 and the SX-64 seemed better designed in that regard. At least they had a cubby to put your disks. The Osborne also could hold the power cable inside it's back cubby.
    Last edited by ngtwolf; May 15th, 2019 at 04:09 PM.
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Well its a vague disclaimer... There are plenty of RJ10 and RJ11 cables that have various pin-outs. Found not necessarily on telecom items. I can make a plea to have people check the color pin-outs on their cable ends first but most people would have no idea what I am talking about.. And if I ask them to use a multi meter to test resistance... well we know where that will go.

I sell refurbished kaypro key switches too. Sold those as well.. And keycaps.. sold alot of those. I don't feel bad about selling kaypro parts. Someone needs to offer them.
    Absolutely. But I don't get your disclaimer about whether they use some random RJ-11 cable or not, they either buy your cable or they don't. If they chose to use some random telephone cable that is possibly bad, I don't really see how that has anything to do with what you're selling, so it seems more like a scare tactic for anyone thinking about not buying your cable then anything else.
    -- Brian

Well Brian if that was the case I think I'd have a lot more sales than just a few. Honestly a few people reached out to me and I told him they didn't need a new cable it was actually the key switch that was broken I'm not doing this to send a bunch of cables I'm just trying to help a few people.

I am trying to sell Ultima 1 from 1981, and even though there's six days left in the auction I'm pretty happy with the current bid.

Its not the same. New cables use cheap thin wires wrapped around... String maybe and the resistance is way too high.. they don't work. I did alot of testing on my kaypros to figure this out. Old cables maybe 25+ years old or older with actual braided copper will work. Check the resistance first.
    They *can* work. I’m sure it varies from cable to cable, because the cable that I’m using now on my Kaypro is no more than 10-years-old. It came from a cheap house phone I found at Goodwill that wasn’t very old. I’ve typed some very long Basic programs in with this cable so far, and not a single missed keystroke (aside from the ones that were my own error).

The point being made here is that saying a standard telephone cable “WILL” damage your Kaypro is a false statement. Can’t attest to other “phone like” cables, but we are talking about real phone handset cables.

I have no issue with you selling these cables, and have no doubt they are probably much better than the junk they sell at Walmart.