Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kaypro II - Yes! A telephone cable works fine for the keyboard!

I would say your cable is far older than you think. They have been really cheaply made for quite a while. Again the resistance test shows for sure. I seriously doubt someone made a landline phone in 2008 or 2009 with braided copper wire rather than the metalic foil roll over string everyone else has been using since the 90's.

But in your defense.. Goodwill would be the best place to find the old proper copper wire cables... Depending on your area of course because goodwills here have nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I would say your cable is far older than you think.
    I don't know about that; not only did it come off of a newer phone (it was definitely 100,000 percent a newer phone), but it's also awfully clean to be an almost 30-year-old and used white phone cable. Nothing about it screams "old" to me. It's definitely *possible* it's an old cable, but I'm doubtful.

But, I did get a picture of the end of the cable so you can see the wires in there:

thumbnail_IMG_4673.jpg

its a tad blurry on the inside of those wires but at first glance it sure looks like braided copper. And that will do it. As to the age, tough to say, but everyone shirks quality for cost I'd be surprised to find a modern instance where they didnt.

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    The Osborne also could hold the power cable inside it's back cubby.
    The 4 black ďthingsĒ (I genuinely donít know what theyíre called) on the back of the Kaypro are made so you can wrap the power cord around them A disk cubby would have been nice, but with the much larger CRT of the Kaypro, thereís really not much room for something like that.

its a tad blurry on the inside of those wires but at first glance it sure looks like braided copper. And that will do it. As to the age, tough to say, but everyone shirks quality for cost I'd be surprised to find a modern instance where they didnt.
    Yeah, that’s the best my iPhone would do. Maybe this was a more expensive aftermarket cable? I’d imagine you can order better quality phone cables from specialty places.

On a side note, I did have a really nice black cable once that came from a late ‘80s or early ‘90s house phone, but I threw it out because I had no use for it It was really thick and was definitely an old cable. Felt much nicer than this white one I have now.

Quote Originally Posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    Yeah, that’s the best my iPhone would do. Maybe this was a more expensive aftermarket cable? I’d imagine you can order better quality phone cables from specialty places.

On a side note, I did have a really nice black cable once that came from a late ‘80s or early ‘90s house phone, but I threw it out because I had no use for it It was really thick and was definitely an old cable. Felt much nicer than this white one I have now.
    Why did the 70's only have rust orange, chocolate brown, olive green, mustard yellow as its primary colors? We had the yellow wall mount phone growing up... with a, I dunno 30 to 50 foot handset cord! That think draped proudly on the floor like a tail.

Yeah I am sure they still must have a need for and make good quality CAT 4 cabling with real copper. Im sure you can still buy it.

Why did the 70's only have rust orange, chocolate brown, olive green, mustard yellow as its primary colors? We had the yellow wall mount phone growing up... with a, I dunno 30 to 50 foot handset cord! That think draped proudly on the floor like a tail.

Yeah I am sure they still must have a need for and make good quality CAT 4 cabling with real copper. Im sure you can still buy it.
    Haha. I actually like some of those colors on certain things, but they definitely went a little overboard with it!

Yeah, those extra long handset cables are definitely a trip!

I am trying to sell Ultima 1 from 1981, and even though there's six days left in the auction I'm pretty happy with the current bid.
    Yup, I saw that. Congrats, looking to see how that turns out. not even sure how you managed to snag a copy of that, it's super rare.
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

Quote Originally Posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    The 4 black “things” (I genuinely don’t know what they’re called) on the back of the Kaypro are made so you can wrap the power cord around them A disk cubby would have been nice, but with the much larger CRT of the Kaypro, there’s really not much room for something like that.
    yeah, i wrap my cable around there but it's not like a vacuum cable with the notch (at least not the one I'm using) so it doesn't really stay attached very well.

I think the later kaypro's with the half height drives could have fit in a cubby though.
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Actually, both the Osborne 1 and the SX-64 seemed better designed in that regard. At least they had a cubby to put your disks. The Osborne also could hold the power cable inside it's back cubby.
    You could stuff both cables in the cubby of an SX-64 but you might damage something in the process and then where do you put your disks? You're out of luck anyway if it's a DX or you've added a drive to an SX.

I've thought a lot about building a matching luggable case containing space for all this stuff plus a good size battery and inverter. ��