Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plugging in laptop chargers the right way

I must admit to plugging / Unplugging my laptop adapters into my laptops whilst the adapter is still powered up many times over the years though it's not really the correct way, I use genuine adapters not the cheap crappy adapters that are around that have little or NO inbuilt protection, I blew a couple of cheap crap adapters years ago and was lucky no damage was done to my laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    I must admit to plugging / Unplugging my laptop adapters into my laptops whilst the adapter is still powered up many times over the years though it's not really the correct way, I use genuine adapters not the cheap crappy adapters that are around that have little or NO inbuilt protection, I blew a couple of cheap crap adapters years ago and was lucky no damage was done to my laptop.
    Modern laptops from HP and Dell (may be others) use smart adapters, and won't accept others. My Dell uses the same plug, voltage, and current as one of my HP's, and neither will work with the other's adapter. Maybe because cheap adapters did cause damage, affecting customer satisfaction.

Or simply so that you have to buy a replacement from them.

I saw that someone the other day removed the ID chip from the Dell converter and connected it inside the Dell computer. It is just a resistor, a zener and the chip. He'd just cut the small part of the PC board off with a dremel. Dell claims it is so that the wrong sized supply isn't used with the battery pack. He'd experimented with them and determined that all they looked at was the current rating. The laptop he looked at ( a Dell as I recall ) ignored the manufacture. I don't know about an HP.
    Dwight