Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Need Help finding small Fluorescent Lamps..... Dont need LED!

time Marches on, I too will grow old and fall apart. I want to enjoy these machines in the best condition I can, while I can.

Blog Entries

With the lights out and the shades drawn, the color of the case won't matter.

sounds a bit depressing Chuck, and I would know, its been a particularly rainy spring.

So I have installed the ballasts into both my dual lamps and started a batch of whitening yesterday afternoon. Well so far after 3/4 of a day with the germicidal bulbs its not too noticeably whiter than standard UV bulbs. Ill let you know when the process is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Well, if necessary, I've leaned toward painting. I've seen what were sets of CPU and monitor that matched when new, but the painted CPU case looks pretty much the it did originally, while the pigmented plastic case of the monitor has yellowed tremendously. I'd be sore tempted just to cover the yellow stuff with a nice water-based acrylic paint; it would preserve the plastic a bit by coating and blocking UV and ozone as well.

But that's just me.
    I have a lot of yellowed equipment, and have thought about painting as well, but I always didn't because of a few things: First, the paint oftentimes doesn't retain the same surface finish as the plastic. Oftentimes the plastic will be in between matte and satin, and the paint is either too dull or too glossy. Another reason is that paint really doesn't stick to plastic that well. Then you end up with a really fragile surface finish that in some cases will chip and end up looking worse than it did when it was yellowed.
    Everyone has their own opinions, however, and that's just mine. I've seen other people paint things with great results, and then I've seen very tacky results. I guess it just depends on what type of item it is and what type of paint is used.

Blog Entries

Exactly. I have various painted cases (by manufacturer) and they've held up very well--better than the dyed naked plastic.

Were I museum archivist preparing an exhibit for demonstration, I'd use a water-base paint applied with an airbrush. It can easily be removed later.