Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 56

Thread: Need Help finding small Fluorescent Lamps..... Dont need LED!

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    31,202
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Germicidal lamps will be around for a long time, I suspect. UV LEDs can't quite get to the UV-C spectrum yet.

    The 9" lamp was never a very common size, however. I've got a couple of fixtures that use the 6" and 12" T5 lamps, however.

    You could roll your own; T5 sockets are still available and an inverter for a CCFL backlight should be just the ticket to run one, seeing as how most electronic ballasts for the larger T8 and F40 fluorescents are little more than that.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    I wonder what people in the future will use to erase eproms.
    Good intentions and wishful thinking..

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Germicidal lamps will be around for a long time, I suspect. UV LEDs can't quite get to the UV-C spectrum yet.

    The 9" lamp was never a very common size, however. I've got a couple of fixtures that use the 6" and 12" T5 lamps, however.

    You could roll your own; T5 sockets are still available and an inverter for a CCFL backlight should be just the ticket to run one, seeing as how most electronic ballasts for the larger T8 and F40 fluorescents are little more than that.
    Well that's the problem I can't seem to find the smaller ballast either. Can I use a 24 inch of 48 in t5 ballast? If I run the two 9-inch in parallel can I get away with that? I've been searching around for these small ballast and I'm coming up dry with those as well the bigger ones you can still find all day long but I I wasn't sure they would work in this application and I didn't want to drop money on it if it wouldn't.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    31,202
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    You miss the gist--forget the ballast--just get a cheap Chinese backlight inverter and hook it up. The tubes are only 6W, so you won't need to bother with a starter--a simple 12VDC supply should work--and provide a certain amount of safety. Modern ballasts don't bother with the tube filaments:.

    If you'd like, I can verify this on some T5 12" lamps that I have.

    But if you're dead-set on a conventional T5 ballast Here's one

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,090

    Default

    Well Chuck, I'm not deadset on anything. Its just the ballasts are still cheap and plentiful. The whole reason I started the thread is the cheap Chinese inverters burned up. Id repair them but cant find a schematic and the resistors are scorched and unreadable.

    I just feel If I bought more of the same Id be throwing money into the fire so to speak.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    3,943
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Replacement bulbs or fixtures? I am good with bulbs, I am looking for the actual lamp.. And have you checked lately? If home depot is devoid of fluorescent I wouldn't hold out much hope for lowes.
    Bulbs & fixtures. I would assume that where there are lamps there would also be fixtures. Haven't shopped for a fixture lately.

    https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-6-Watt-9...t-Bulb/3400516
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    31,202
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Bulbs is easy--try finding a fixture. They're getting to be unobtainium. But for germicidal lamps, it's probably cheaper to replace the fixture with an LED one, which is why no one seems to make them any more.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Bulbs & fixtures. I would assume that where there are lamps there would also be fixtures. Haven't shopped for a fixture lately.

    https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-6-Watt-9...t-Bulb/3400516
    Yeah like Chuck says the bulbs are the only thing you can find. I am still sitting on a bunch, germicidal bulbs included. I need a lamp.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Chilliwack, BC, Canada
    Posts
    252

    Default

    If you're using them for retr0briting, Adrian Black has had success using Royal Blue LEDs (~455nm) that he salvaged from some old Phillips remote-phosphor LED bulbs. I've tried sourcing new ones, but they tend to be pricey since they're mainly used as grow lamps these days, now that white LEDs have come onto the market. Really only need a heat sink and DC power supply.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

    Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackepyon View Post
    If you're using them for retr0briting, Adrian Black has had success using Royal Blue LEDs (~455nm) that he salvaged from some old Phillips remote-phosphor LED bulbs. I've tried sourcing new ones, but they tend to be pricey since they're mainly used as grow lamps these days, now that white LEDs have come onto the market. Really only need a heat sink and DC power supply.
    I saw the video, but that doesn't help me as I have a cache of bulbs already (the good germicidal variety) that I paid for and want to use.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •