Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kaypro II repairs

Tandon drives...hate the damn things. They're pretty much the only drives I ever seem to have irreconcilable issues with.

Quote Originally Posted by MrArgent View Post
    Tandon drives...hate the damn things. They're pretty much the only drives I ever seem to have irreconcilable issues with.
    Hah. Interestingly, I’ve got two IBM 5150s that have Tandon drives, and I’ve never had a single issue with them.

I was pretty determined to fix these, because they look really good in the Kaypro.

Yeah, they're integral to the looks of a lot of machines unfortunately. My only working one is a TM-100-1, which my 5150 and XT share as needed. (They've sort of fallen to the wayside in light of this being an ongoing issue and my Apple II getting most of my attention for the time being.) Got a pile of five parts drives I'm hoping to get looked at sometime in the near future...

Some of the very last 5150s made use a Magnetic Peripherals drive that looks identical from the front, and I think they are more reliable. That’s what my 1986 IBM 5150 has in it, and it also has the same 130W PSU that the XT uses.

i have a K 10/84 that's got a screen full of rubbish.. any ideas?

all chips are socket'd so can replace them easy..

k10-84-2.jpg

My first guess would be that the ROM is bad, so nothing clears the "random power-on garbage" from the video RAM. Or else something is preventing the CPU from running the code in ROM.
    - Doug

it seems that it was one of the 6164 rams.. as it now boots to a good screen but i think the FDD drive is playing up so need to take out and clean as it says , cant find any system files on a system boot disk, and the hdd does not boot.. it maybe blank and then all this happened to the last person who had it and they gave up...

on another note ... i'm looking for some cosmetic parts for a kaypro .. let me know if you have anything... looking for some key tops and bits..

thanks

I'd say the first thing - get the board out and press on every chip in every socket on each side alternatively so that you hear a satisfying squeak. That should restore all connections.

In general this rubbish means that you CPU is not starting at all, the first thing to check (if reseating chips would not help) would be main clock on cpu. I've got rubbish like yours on my clock modded KII in case when CPU was not getting any clock.

Quote Originally Posted by LS120 View Post
    i have a K 10/84 that's got a screen full of rubbish.. any ideas?

all chips are socket'd so can replace them easy..

k10-84-2.jpg

Awesome you fixed it! I’d love to have a Kaypro 10 someday.

yes the k10/84 is all go again... looking for some keys for one now..