Image Map Image Map

Thread: MTM Scientific Retro PC

Question MTM Scientific Retro PC

I've just built mine - and the board looks good. Good enough to frame, which is what I might have to do with it if I can't get it to work!

The problem that I'm having is that I get no video. I'm using a Paradise PEGA1A card and trying to use the composite video ports - but I'm getting no output (I have no EGA monitor). Reading up on the net it seems that the composite ports might not be enabled if there's no card in the feature socket (and there isn't a card in the feature socket).

As to the other functionality, about 2 seconds after power up I get a single brief beep. I've kept the board powered for a minute and I hear no other sounds. Has it passed POST? Is it just that I need to sort out a video card? What would you recommend? And is there such a thing as an EGA to s-video or similar adaptor? All recommendations gratefully received.

Those ports don't go anywhere. They are not a standard composite output like on a CGA card. They are only pass-through to the feature connector.
    Bobby.

You would need a special EGA feature daughterboard connected to the EGA to perform the conversion. And to have the EGA configured for CGA-compatible modes.

Before trying to get an output on your EGA card and composite monitor, can you test the board with something more common? CGA (you can use the composite output if you like), an known working 8-bit data bus compatible VGA card. There is a post somewhere on these forums with the list of such VGA cards.

Quote Originally Posted by sergey View Post
    ..., an known working 8-bit data bus compatible VGA card. There is a post somewhere on these forums with the list of such VGA cards.
    It will need to be more than 8-bit slot compatible. It will also need to be IBM 5150 compatible. There is a list of known compatible cards at [here].