Image Map Image Map

Thread: Does raid damage PCBs?

Blog Entries

Default Does raid damage PCBs?

My Commodore Pet decided to get a Pet of its own and a spider made a small web between the logic board and analog board. I sprayed a small amount on the bottom side of the analog board and it crawled through the back vents of the pet where I got it good. I don't know if much went into the vents. I will be doing a recap of the analog board so it will get an IPA wash at some point but want to make sure I don't need to hurry to wash the board.
    Wanted: Any old clunky 286-P1 machine that has some kind of working battery or replaceable with off the shelf parts. Preferred: 10+lbs 386 machines.

Wouldn't a vacuum cleaner have sufficed?

I wouldn't trust any such chemical for this!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Wouldn't a vacuum cleaner have sufficed?

I wouldn't trust any such chemical for this!
    Damn, why didn't I think of that. Took the back of the tube housing off, looks dry inside.
    Wanted: Any old clunky 286-P1 machine that has some kind of working battery or replaceable with off the shelf parts. Preferred: 10+lbs 386 machines.

I'm confused as to what the problem with the spider is that you'd need a can of Raid to deal with it. This isn't one of those Australian spiders so big it has a health bar, is it?
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Blog Entries

I've been having a few issues with bugs lately, mainly ones the size of Australian insects flying in. I get it, I shouldn't have used raid. The question was does raid damage boards, not did I overreact to an insect.

Blog Entries

Probably not--what's in the can is mostly propellant and the remainder is largely nonreactive:

SDS for Raid(tm) flying insect killer

I just looked at the SDS and agree that it shouldn't hurt anything. It may leave a residue that could attract dust, your IPA wash should remove that.
    PCjr, DTK PC-XT Turbo, 386DX 33, 486 laptop, Pentium 120, Pentium III 500, various old laptops, Commodore Colt, all working. I also have a 286 that I need to see if I can repair.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KenEG View Post
    I just looked at the SDS and agree that it shouldn't hurt anything. It may leave a residue that could attract dust, your IPA wash should remove that.
    This is what I mainly suspected but Thanks.