Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bricked 1084-D Monitor. Any likely (fixable) culprits?

Default Bricked 1084-D Monitor. Any likely (fixable) culprits?

So, this evening I fetched the 1084-D monitor that came with the Amiga 1000 (... I probably need to pass on to a loving home one of these days...) out of storage hoping I could use it in RGBI mode with my new Tandy 1000 EX. However, upon plugging it in I've discovered that it seems to be completely dead; the power button seems to click positively but the LED above it doesn't even flicker and I don't hear any "electrical sounds" or humming from the monitor.

Do these monitors have a fuse that's known to blow or other low-hanging fruit fix, or is it likely kaput enough that it's not worth repairing? I don't think I'm up for swapping a flyback or other heroic measures for a monitor which *did* work a couple years ago for a few hours but I otherwise don't know the history of.

Perhaps. But, IME, they're more frequently known for having power switches that fail.

Ditto on the power switch. Only problem is, no one makes suitable replacements. You will just have to solder some wire so it is always "on", and then use a switched power strip if you need to turn it on and off.

Great. I guess when I get a chance I'll try hotwiring around the power switch and see where that gets me. Anyone have a lead on a service manual or whatnot that'd give me hints on getting the hood off?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Ditto on the power switch. Only problem is, no one makes suitable replacements. You will just have to solder some wire so it is always "on", and then use a switched power strip if you need to turn it on and off.
    FWIW, a lot of old AT power supplies used the same or similar switch.

The monitor is kind of a beater in terms of physical condition so I probably wouldn't feel too guilty replacing the switch with something improvised if that actually fixes the problem.

I had a similar issue with my 1902A monitor when I pulled it rom storage. At least on the 1902A, I needed a signal coming in for it to switch on. I had that, but the slide switches to choose modes were dirty/corroded. Flicking them back and forth several times got it working.
    PCjr, DTK PC-XT Turbo, 386DX 33, 486 laptop, Pentium 120, Pentium III 500, various old laptops, Commodore Colt, all working. I also have a 286 that I need to see if I can repair.

Blog Entries

There is a chap on Amibay selling replacement 1084 switches - just search for '1084 switches'

They are quite straightforward to fit.

Have you done the basics like checking the fuse in the plug and whipped the back cover off to check mainboard fuse ?

More challenging issues like a failed flyback usually result in a whining sound coming from the monitor with no picture.

**EDIT**
    Just spotted yours is a 1084D - the Amibay switches are for 1084-S variants as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by zippysticks View Post
    Have you done the basics like checking the fuse in the plug and whipped the back cover off to check mainboard fuse ?
    It's a US-spec monitor with a standard... I-forget-the-name-of-it computer power supply-style power jack so there's no plug fuse. When I get the top off it I'll look around and see if there's a replaceable fuse on the board somewhere.

Have to say it's pretty darn confusing just how many 1084 variants there are out there in the wild. Makes it something of a challenge searching for a service manual or the like.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    It's a US-spec monitor with a standard... I-forget-the-name-of-it computer power supply-style power jack so there's no plug fuse. When I get the top off it I'll look around and see if there's a replaceable fuse on the board somewhere.

Have to say it's pretty darn confusing just how many 1084 variants there are out there in the wild. Makes it something of a challenge searching for a service manual or the like.
    I presume its an IEC power input socket then....

Pretty good visual guide to the Commodore monitor models here:

https://gona.mactar.hu/Commodore/mon...el_number.html