Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extremely RARE IBM 5110 For Sale

Blog Entries

Hahahaha! The madman actually did it!
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Hahahaha! The madman actually did it!
    There is a company working to make Beamspring replicas shoved inside a cherry MX housing. Once those get into production, well the worth of these old IBMs should drop like a stone once the keyboards stop getting gutted.
    Wanted: Any old clunky 286-P1 machine that has some kind of working battery or replaceable with off the shelf parts. Preferred: 10+lbs 386 machines.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedpneumatic View Post
    There is a company working to make Beamspring replicas shoved inside a cherry MX housing. Once those get into production, well the worth of these old IBMs should drop like a stone once the keyboards stop getting gutted.
    Not sure about that. Personally I don't feel/see the "superior" difference between these and a good model M or Northgate KB. Yes, they feel different but not better to me and certainly not $1500 better. I think the people who are gutting these kb do it because "it is collectable" or they feel it is an "investment". I seriously doubt someone is spending $1500 for a KB as the daily driver on their Win10 system. Of course I could be wrong, there are a ton of crazies out there. However, I think it will be like many other retrotech where a replica (e.g replica Adlib card, or Roland interface card) is available but the price for the "real thing" stays crazy high.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    Not sure about that. Personally I don't feel/see the "superior" difference between these and a good model M or Northgate KB. Yes, they feel different but not better to me and certainly not $1500 better. I think the people who are gutting these kb do it because "it is collectable" or they feel it is an "investment". I seriously doubt someone is spending $1500 for a KB as the daily driver on their Win10 system. Of course I could be wrong, there are a ton of crazies out there. However, I think it will be like many other retrotech where a replica (e.g replica Adlib card, or Roland interface card) is available but the price for the "real thing" stays crazy high.
    True, but I believe this keyboard will also be hall effect and have a better force curve than the original beamspring. And for all the "OMG ALPS BLUE OR BUST, etc." keyboard enthusiasts, I happyily enjoy my Outemu Browns and Cherry blues.
    Wanted: Any old clunky 286-P1 machine that has some kind of working battery or replaceable with off the shelf parts. Preferred: 10+lbs 386 machines.

I have owned a bunch of model F keyboard. Not a single model M.. Is there a difference? Which is more prized and why?

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I have owned a bunch of model F keyboard. Not a single model M.. Is there a difference? Which is more prized and why?
    The F's are much rarer and more desireable, but only the weirder variants. The XT ones are still relatively cheap because they're XT. I prefer the F over the M because it's got a slightly louder and higher pitched sound and the keys are a little lighter. But that 5120 had a beamspring and I wasn't all that impressed with it. I don't understand why they're so expensive. But the keyboard community is weird. I sold an IBM/Lexmark model M15 (basically an ergo model m2) for $650. It's extremely rare but probably the worst feeling and most uncomfortable keyboard I've ever used

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    But the keyboard community is weird.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by trixter View Post
    lol !!

Blog Entries

I suspect that most of the "collectors" also use a cell phone or tablet with a touch screen. Wonder how many of them actually know how to touch type. (Hint: look at the F and J keys, as well as the space bar).

Haha can't believe he actually did it since it's in Texas, wonder if he happened to find it at Computer Reset.