Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extremely RARE IBM 5110 For Sale

Exclamation Extremely RARE IBM 5110 For Sale

I have an extremely rare IBM 5110 computer with BASIC keycaps for sale. The computer powers on, and voltages seem to be correct, but the monitor and LEDs do not turn on. I have mostly recapped the power supply. Please make an offer . Pictures will be posted later.

I raise you your "RARE IBM 5110" with my IBM 5120 Ultra super duper prototype Steve Jobs Unobtainium mega rare computer...... Do I win?

I traded a working compaq portable III to member RadRacer203 for it so it cost me.. Desk space... and some gas.

Does yours come with a working tape and tape drive?
    Last edited by VERAULT; May 10th, 2019 at 07:27 PM.

Mine does not. Just the computer.

What is your asking price? Where did you get it? You say the monitor LED doesnt come on but I get the impression there is no video?

$2000. You are correct. There is no video.

$2000! What ? Are you serious? For a broken IBM 5110?

Haha good luck with that. You are really, really far from the price mark on this one.

I honestly hope you get it,, I could sell my collection and buy an island if that was the current state of things.

Oh geez, I really am having a good laugh to this..

Blog Entries

Well I think it depends on which model 5110. There is the portable version which had a tape drive, and the desktop version which had 8" floppy disk drives.
    ...as I can find multiple listings on E-Bay for both with "Basic" keyboards, it can't be "extremely rare. Now if it was the APL model...

This is the portable version...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323729339218

which I guess is in a similar state to yours and sold for $1125 so about half what you want for your.s...

... and this desktop version which is working perhaps apart from the FDD and is in immaculate condition is listed as starting at $900 but has yet to attract any bids....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223513396673

There is still time for it to go go but as it was previously listed starting at $1000 but didn't sell I can't see it moving.....

Given the above I think for a portable you are asking twice the going rate at the present time, but as they were available for under $200 a year or two ago, who knows if you wait the price may go up....
    ... if its a desktop model 3 then probably 4 ot five times the price for a whole unit, unless you add "beam spring keyboard" to the e-bay description when it will fly off the shelf but be gutted....
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Spot on Dave. I have the 5120 desktop model. Works fine, but its only the Basic Keyboard not APL.

Truth be told $1125 for a 5110 (working ) was pretty impressive. I wonder if that was a legitimate auction as I have seen them go for $125 to $200.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Spot on Dave. I have the 5120 desktop model. Works fine, but its only the Basic Keyboard not APL.

Truth be told $1125 for a 5110 (working ) was pretty impressive. I wonder if that was a legitimate auction as I have seen them go for $125 to $200.
    They are interesting as they are a little unique and a bit out of the ordinary. The portable ones don't take up much space. A couple of years ago a search for "sold items" would have popped up three or four. At present only one is showing which means there is pent up demand. Looking at the bidding history it started at $300 and there were four bidders who got snipped at the end by a fifth. I would say thats as genuine an auction as I have seen in a long time.

On the other hand the desktop model does take up a lot of space. So I would expect one of those to be a lot less. To see how much some one needs to start one at a lower price....
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    unless you add "beam spring keyboard" to the e-bay description when it will fly off the shelf but be gutted....
    I guess he took your advice and added $500 on top of it.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!