Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extremely RARE IBM 5110 For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I suspect that most of the "collectors" also use a cell phone or tablet with a touch screen. Wonder how many of them actually know how to touch type. (Hint: look at the F and J keys, as well as the space bar).
    To be fair, i'm not sure if the two are related. Typing on a cellphone is miserable with or without a physical keyboard, and phones with keyboards are generally inferior devices so if you want the best phone, you pretty much aren't buying a phone with a physical keyboard. Plus, standard 'touch typing' (two hands, home keys, etc) isn't really a thing on phones anyway, it's a whole different typing paradigm. For myself, because i'm an actual touch typer on real keyboards, I hate typing on screens so I have to use swipe style keyboards which i'm pretty good at (when google guesses the words properly).

As for this thread, I see 17 people are watching that auction... probably half of them are waiting for it to sell so they can list their IBM 5110. I think the only vintage computer i'd ever want to spend this kind of money on is an Imsai (obviously i'm talking about computers i'd actually be interested in having, not something i'm buying under a pretense of some possible future profit).

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Hansberry View Post
    Haha can't believe he actually did it since it's in Texas, wonder if he happened to find it at Computer Reset.
    That's dallas and he's houston, so I don't think so. Not unlikely, but similar to "oh, you're from Alaska... Do you know 'joe'?" kinda thing.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Plus, standard 'touch typing' (two hands, home keys, etc) isn't really a thing on phones anyway, it's a whole different typing paradigm. For myself, because i'm an actual touch typer on real keyboards, I hate typing on screens so I have to use swipe style keyboards which i'm pretty good at (when google guesses the words properly).
    No, that was my point. I wonder how many of these keyboard "collectors" think that typing on a smart phone is a perfectly acceptable way to go through life. I have to grit my teeth when typing on a tablet or mobile phone. I curse the people who devised this sort of torture.

Touchscreens are just the worst. Even the fancy new ones only make it to the level of "somewhat less awful."
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Touchscreens are just the worst. Even the fancy new ones only make it to the level of "somewhat less awful."
    The company f(x)tec pro is coming out with a Android slider phone and I couldn't give a damn about the screen being too big or outdated hardware or it being too expensive for that glorious full size keyboard to provide tactile response.
    Wanted: Any old clunky 286-P1 machine that has some kind of working battery or replaceable with off the shelf parts. Preferred: 10+lbs 386 machines.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedpneumatic View Post
    The company f(x)tec pro is coming out with a Android slider phone and I couldn't give a damn about the screen being too big or outdated hardware or it being too expensive for that glorious full size keyboard to provide tactile response.
    As someone that held on forever with physical phone keyboards, if it's not a full sized keyboard, it's not the same. Sure, blackberry keyboards (for example) aren't bad and they're better than touch screens, but it really is best to just train yourself to use different data entry paradigms (voice?) then trying to make mini versions of standard keyboards.

As for that phone, I don't find it that interesting. The hardware specs are better than most sliders, but there are some downsides and the price is equivalent to some flagship phones so it's a hard sell. As well, that keyboard is an odd shape with the top part being so close to the screen, so even though we think we want a physical keyboard on a phone, when it comes down to actually using it, we'd find that it has a whole different set of problems. I know we want physical keyboards, but in the end, a device of that size just doesn't lend itself to being like a full sized computer keyboard so it's still going to be a poor experience (even if its slightly better than touch screen) and also create new problems as well. Heck, I never could get myself to use my HP palmtops back in the day because of the lackluster keyboard experience. In the end, any gains are nullified by all the negatives. That said, that phone does have a 3.5mm audio jack and 'sorta' stereo speakers, so that's a plus.

No, that was my point. I wonder how many of these keyboard "collectors" think that typing on a smart phone is a perfectly acceptable way to go through life. I have to grit my teeth when typing on a tablet or mobile phone. I curse the people who devised this sort of torture.
    It's a bit of training, but if you have android (no idea what the current iOS keyboard situation is), get yourself to start learning how to use swipe keyboards (google keyboard has that functionality). It may suck too, but it's a lot better than trying to touch type on a screen.

---

Clearly we've gone off topic, but I don't feel so bad since the original topic went to crazy town with the price announcement.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

My 11.6" Insignia Android has a detachable keyboard which is a really nice feature. The keyboard is nearly the same size as a laptop keyboard.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    My 11.6" Insignia Android has a detachable keyboard which is a really nice feature. The keyboard is nearly the same size as a laptop keyboard.
    My Surface Pro I use for work is similar (though windows) and actually pretty nice. But, honestly, at that point you're never going to detach the keyboard and so your tablet is really just a laptop. The tablet form factor itself is the worst of all worlds, since you can't even pretend to type on that onscreen keyboard, so it's relegated to watching videos or reading. I don't use any tablets anymore, they all got turned into devices that sit there displaying my house security cameras.
    -- Brian

::::: Hits the AGREE button so many times it broke....:::::::::::: I learned to touchtype sending messages on BBS's and IRC, I used full words. Touchscreens and "internet lingo" are producing lots of people who cannot type or spell.

My Surface Pro I use for work is similar (though windows) and actually pretty nice.
    Ya', but it didn't cost less than $100, did it?

But, honestly, at that point you're never going to detach the keyboard and so your tablet is really just a laptop.
    Maybe your's is but mine gets plenty of keyboard-less tablet use.

The tablet form factor itself is the worst of all worlds, since you can't even pretend to type on that onscreen keyboard, so it's relegated to watching videos or reading.
    I don't watch videos on it -- that's why I have a 50" TV. I could never understand why people watch movies, etc, on a phone or tablet. Reading anything of substance on such a small device is of little interest as well.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Ya', but it didn't cost less than $100, did it?
    It was provided by my work, so it was free to me.

I don't watch videos on it -- that's why I have a 50" TV. I could never understand why people watch movies, etc, on a phone or tablet. Reading anything of substance on such a small device is of little interest as well.
    Well, by reading, I meant reading anything and that included reading websites. So, I'm assuming you use it for web browsing, but is there any other use?
    -- Brian